Main Menu

Vinyl top seam widths

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, December 25, 2018, 12:19:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70 Challenger Lover

Couldn't find the answer in searches but I was curious why there is a difference in vinyl top seam widths. Was it a year thing or S.E. difference?

At some point in the near future, I want to put a vinyl top back on my project and the original was removed long before I bought it. It's a 1970 Challenger RT made in August 1969 if that matters.

anlauto

There's only two..."wide seam" and "narrow seam" ...ALL 1970's used a wide seam....mid way through 71 the narrow seam was introduced and used from there until the end of 1974.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: anlauto on December 25, 2018, 12:28:58 PM
There's only two..."wide seam" and "narrow seam" ...ALL 1970's used a wide seam....mid way through 71 the narrow seam was introduced and used from there until the end of 1974.

Perfect! That was the simple answer I was looking for. Thanks and Merry Christmas

Mike

Burdar

I was always under the impression that the wide seam top was used all the way through the 72 model year and that the narrow seam started in 73.  The 73 factory brochures still show the wide seam top.  I assumed the change was made after those were printed.(or they doctored pictures of 72's for the 73 brochure)

anlauto

Well thank you Darren....I stand corrected...my bad .... now a simple answer is not so simple... :looney:  Interesting through because member @bpsmopar recently bought a 72 Challenger with a wide seam vinyl roof and both of us thought it was only because the car had a sunroof....now I guess you've proven us wrong...or proven me wrong... :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70 Challenger Lover

Interesting but still simple for me...seems like my 70 should definitely have a wide seam top.

anlauto

For sure NO narrow seam tops in 1970 :alan2cents: