Main Menu

Black Seam Sealer

Started by 71vert340, February 18, 2019, 12:04:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I removed the rear seat in my 71 convertible to take a photo of the double seat bottom brackets installed in convertibles. I decided to clean up the floor pans in this area since it has been probably 25+ years since I had the seat out. Things, as always, snow balled and I noticed the black seam sealer is cracked and loose in places so I removed some of it. I also noticed around the seat belts bolted to the floor  that seam sealer must be applied around the bolt holes and as the seat belt bolts are tightened, the seam sealer is squeezed out.  What is the best black seam sealer to use to seal the joints prior to repainting the floor pans in this area? Should I remove the seat belts and reapply the seam sealer there also? Thanks for any info. I'm attaching a photo showing the original seam sealer around a seat bracket. 
Terry

Cuda Cody

I like the 3M seam sealers.  :alan2cents:  They come in different colors.

JS29

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 18, 2019, 02:32:10 PM
I like the 3M seam sealers.  :alan2cents:  They come in different colors.
:iagree: All the big boy shops around my neck use 3M urethane seam sealers.  :alan2cents:

Bpret

3m is great but wear a mask and do it in a well ventilated area it stinks. My car only had one set of hooks. I wish it had two there was a pretty good gap between my top and bottom rear seat pieces. My car being orange you could see the paint between the seat cushions.

6Pack70

I use 3M uerthane seam sealer in black or white to actually seal the joints in the floorpans, trunk, quarters,wheelhousings, etc.  To make it look more like that asphalt sealer that is dried out and chipping off of your convertible's pans,  I use DAP roofing sealer in black right on top of the fully cured 3M Urethane.  Applied with a caulk gun and then brushed with a stiff wire brush.   Takes a couple weeks to fully cure up and looks like factory however the really good stuff is underneath doing the actual sealing.   Eddie

HEMICUDA

I don't believe the black your seeing around the seat belt bolt holes is seam sealer, that's dumb dumb.