Main Menu

Wanted Vendor For 1970 1971 Challenger SE Trim Clips

Started by Tirekickertoo, January 23, 2023, 11:29:52 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Tirekickertoo

Hello,
     I'm looking for a vendor or information on making SE trim clips for the tops of both doors and quarter glass areas.  These are the SE trim pieces on the 1970 1971 Challenger's.  I called R/T Specialties and they do not have them or know of anyone who does?  It was recommended that I find the closest trim clips available and adjust to fit.  Please share any information on vendors, products, or techniques.

Thank you,

Tirekickertoo

anlauto

Wow, that would be nice to find something that would work....good luck with your search and let us know what you find....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

headejm

The two different winged ones on the top of the first photo are the ones you are looking for plus the rounder one with the long arm sticking out in the second photo, I'd never say 0% chance of finding them but in this case maybe 0.1% chance of finding them.

1970A-66Challenger

I was able to salvage and reuse the two end clips with nuts on my Challenger, however, the winged clips were damaged beyond use. I ended up using standard trim clips based on the trim width and it worked out. If I recall correctly due to the thickness/height of the trim in one location I couldn't make the aftermarket clip work but the trim is well secured without it.

tparker

Yeah, good luck finding them. If you do find them let me know. I need them too. LOL. They are expensive when they do pop up.

I ended up making something. Essentially I cut out a piece of sheet metal just wide enough to fit in the channel and drilled a hole to take a threaded clip. Then I bolted it from the inside. Not perfect but it worked. 

70/6chall

I was looking through some baggies of factory clips and fasteners I have. I noticed I have some clips that resemble some I found online that claim they are for the Challenger SE belt line trim. I have 9 of them they are OE and I've probably had them for years. I'll post the ad I found to show you what I found. Man! These things are pricey.

anlauto

Problem is, they are all different sizes from the front to the back  :headbang:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70/6chall

I didn't know they had different sizes of these certain fasteners, Alan. When I researched the fasteners for the SE beltline, I posted my finding of the SE fasteners that I had found.I sure seems like the ones I have match what they are describing as such. Anyway here are the ones I have are they the ones being looked for? I placed a ruler next to them to give an idea of fastener size. Thanks,   Al

anlauto

It's my belief that as the trim gets narrower towards the front, so do the clips :dunno:

70/6chall

tparker

I ruined most of mine trying to get them out and not knowing how hard they are to find. I still have a few. However, I don't recall them being different sizes. There were two different types clips if I remember correctly. There are a couple on the end that were different. One was a buttery fly looking clip that is semetrical and the other is an S shaped clip with a long thin arm. Take it with a grain of salt, I removed them several years ago and don't recall perfectly.

anlauto

I could be wrong too, I just know they were not all the same, it's been quite a while since I dealt with them too :dunno:

RUNCHARGER

I believe you're right Alan. I'm not at home right now or I'd have a look at my parts books. I think with my SE that I found a couple of NOS ones and I modded other ones to make them all work. There might even be another thread on here that details them.
Sheldon

anlauto

Okay YES I know these are NOT the same butterfly style used in the Challenger.

HOWEVER, these are the seven clips removed by me from the Driver's side door belt molding of a 1970 DODGE CHARGER....You can see quite clearly in my photo that out of the seven clips for one door molding piece, no two clips are the same...If I remember correctly Challenger is similar  :alan2cents:

70/6chall

These are the factory fasteners for the 70 Challenger SE rear finish panel. I've had these for years as spares for the panel I have on my Challenger.