Main Menu

Was this a common marking?

Started by DHRKRider, January 04, 2023, 08:50:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

DHRKRider

I noticed this marking on the interior right inner wheel well and was wondering if this was common? Maybe the factory tech was annoyed because it looks like JH 23 SOB

JH27N0B

I never saw that before, however a number of E body wheel wells have "Rock" written on them.  Presumably Rock was an assembly line worker who wrote that on cars he worked on so his name would live on with the car.  Perhaps your example was a body that had something fubared in its assembly and the technician assigned to repair it wrote that on it to express his frustrations with trying to fix it?

Filthy Filbert

Interesting.  Only marks I really found on mine was a $ written on the inside forward face of the right side wheel tub,

ebodyproducts

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on January 04, 2023, 12:23:53 PM
Interesting.  Only marks I really found on mine was a $ written on the inside forward face of the right side wheel tub,
My 1970 Cuda had a $ mark in the same place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
E-Body Products
www.ebodyproducts.com
606-481-9014

cuda hunter

I've never seen that one before.

The dollar sign is a very common "doodle". 

@DHRKRider  We used to have a great factory doodles thread on cc.com before the crash.
Please add your doodle to this thread for the records. 
https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/factory-doodles-and-drawings/2351/
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

DHRKRider

I think you're right. I did see some differences comparing the left and right side in the corners where the rear seat pan meets the wheel well.

cuda hunter

Perhaps your example was a body that had something fubared in its assembly and the technician assigned to repair it wrote that on it to express his frustrations with trying to fix it?

:iagree:

Have you done any measurements on the car?  Or have it on a rack?  Or squared?  I'm curious what was such a problem. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

Filthy Filbert

Ya know, it's kinda funny how these cars back then had all these signitures and doodles on them like artists signing their work.    Today the automakers are super strict and do not allow anyone to doodle anything on the cars anywhere other than inspection marks, and the inspection marks must be the same on every single car.    Apparently getting cars through customs in some countries can be a challenge especially in middle eastern countries where terrorism and extremist activities are more prevalent.   "What is this smiley face?  Why is it here on this car? What does it mean? What's been done to this car that's different?"

DHRKRider

I have not done any measurements. Currently the car is on a rotisserie.  Not sure how that would go if I followed the measurement steps in the service manual. Is it possible to get accurate readings? I sure hope I don't have an issue with it.

cuda hunter

There are several threads here about measuring your car for straightness.
Just do some searching, and eventually you will find what your looking for here.
I would check the measurements, ifn it were my ride.