Main Menu

Water leak inside car???

Started by Rich G., July 18, 2023, 03:27:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

During our rainy ride home from Carlisle I found the rugs got a little wet. Other than the windshield , back window and trunk, is there any other place water would come in? Didn't see anything coming in while driving. Going to hose it down when it's not a million degrees outside.

cuda hunter

Floor plug? 
Fresh air vent on drivers side.
Any of the firewall holes that aren't plugged tight?

Where did it get wet?  The entire front floor pan or a localized spot. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Rich G.

Just the driver side, front and rear.

cuda hunter

Could it have possibly been from the door?  Bottom door seals?   
How much rain did you drive through?
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Rich G.

Haven't checked anything yet but it was a 3 hour drive in the rain.😩 Everything is new on the car. Cleaning the car I did notice a firewall plug for the speedometer popped out. Didn't think water would come in through the firewall but I'll run a hose on separate sections and see what leaks. Thanks for the suggestions

FSHTAIL

Vinyl top car?     have someone hit the car with some water from a hose with their thumb over every section of windshield.     
Maybe the sealant failed, maybe there's a rust issue. 
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

usraptor

Driver's side floor vent door adjusted properly so it's all the way closed?

Rich G.

chargerdon

Id check the floorpan itself for any rust holes or pin holes...and along the seams...   the water could have com UP from driving on wet pavement for that long if the seam sealers such has dryed up

JH27N0B

I had an issue years ago on my daily driver where my passenger side floor would get so much water on it, it would sometimes be 1/2" deep!
I had no luck figuring out where it was coming from, and was even thinking of drilling a hole in the floor so it would drain.  :haha:
Then one day the light was shining on my cowl right when I had the hood open, and I noticed the cowl had standing water in it!
The drain or drains in the bottom of the cowl were plugged with debris like leaves or seeds, which I then cleaned out, and the water flowed out.  Problem solved.
Well not completely solved, some months later I had some strange problems, electrical related, that I couldn't figure out.  I took the car to a garage and they found some rust in my fusebox, no doubt from the water that had seeped in from the standing water in my cowl!
Another thing to check, which is a fairly common place for E bodies to leak, is the seals where the wiper arm shafts come through the cowl.

70_440-6Cuda

I had a '65 Fastback Mustang that the drivers floor in the front left would get wet in the rain constantly, carpet would be soaked.  It was making me nuts - a friend of mine owned a glass shop and we had the the windshield out 3 times and used so much sealer you could have installed 100 windshields.  The following summer I had the front fenders off to spray the engine bay and prep for a new engine install - turned out the seam sealer at the cowl below the fender right at the windshield was all cracked and allowing water to run down the inside of the kick panel.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

Rich G.

Leak found! I got the hose out and ran water threw the grill openings at the back of the hood. Water flowed into the car through the hole in the hood release cable plug! Well that was easy thank God .

cuda hunter