Main Menu

Painting inside quarters.

Started by truckinman466, January 01, 2019, 06:53:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

truckinman466

Hi everyone. Have a couple of questions for you. I'm getting ready to paint the inside of my quarters before I put them back on for the final time. Does anyone have a picture of where the undercoating goes? Also, do I put said undercoating between sealer coat and paint? Or does it go on last?

70 Challenger Lover

Undercoating would go on over the paint for better protection. I'm not expert on how the factory did things and what various dealerships did afterwards but in stripping down multiple cars, I have noticed that the inside of the inner fender panels were painted along with the firewall but the inside of the fender was not. On the undercoat, I've noticed it all on the inner fender panel and firewall (covering the paint) and top on the fender inside but not on the inside fender facing outward. Basically where a tire would sling rocks.

RUNCHARGER

I had all the spray patterns but I think I deleted them. Someone here should have photos of them. The colour went over the sound deadening.
Sheldon

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 02, 2019, 07:00:18 AM
I had all the spray patterns but I think I deleted them. Someone here should have photos of them. The colour went over the sound deadening.

I wonder if my cars had the undercoat sprayed in by dealerships then...I scraped it all off by hand and it was over paint.

soundcontrol

I used Raptorliner over 2K epoxy. Sprayed it everywhere inside the quarters, not OE correct, but it won't rust again.

Cuda Cody

The factory had a pattern they used to stay clear of the marker mounts.  Here's some samples.

Mopar5

Keep in mind there are different types of undercoating some are paint able and some are not depending on if you want to add color over it. The texture on the inside of the truck quarters is more of a paintable sprayable seam sealer used for sound and harmonic deadening and is not really undercoating

6Pack70

I used Resto Ricks undercoating over two coats od DP40 and just made cardboard cutouts using pictures from my friends Cuda.  I also used a few cheap harbor frieght magnets on the quaters and the cardboard to keep it in place and suspend about 1/4 inch from the surface of the metal.  Gives a nicer, not so sharpe edge.  I deliberately oversprayed the inside of the quarters very lightly when I painted the trunk compartment to give it a similar hurried look. 

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Mopar5