Main Menu

Need help from the paint experts

Started by blown motor, April 01, 2018, 04:09:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Today I noticed a spot on the roof of my truck where the clear coat is coming off. It's a 2003 GMC Sierra. What can I do to prevent it from spreading?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

IRON MAN

The clear coat is incompatible with the base coat. Soon the hood will be doing the same thing. I have a 2001 Chevy ext cab Z71 doing the same thing. Three years ago the paint was fine. Wants it starts peeling it's get much, much worse real fast. My truck now needs the roof and hood repainted. Truck has low miles ...110,700. It's not GM's fault. It is the paint company's fault be it Dupont, PPG, etc.

Cuda Cody

Looks like the clear coat is coming off?  Is the paint factory or has it been repainted?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

jimynick

The story I heard from a few dealers, was that the vehicles weren't primed and baked properly and that it caused a problem that can show as clear or clear and paint peeling. The obvious cause is a lack of adhesion. You could try to nip it in the bud by carefully sanding the edges of the mangy spot with some 1000 grit, scuff the whole spot and about 2" around it with some 1500 and using a decent rattlecan clear, blow in the spots using 3 coats of clear. If you prepped it right, once the clear has had 48 hours to harden, you should be able to cut it with some more of the 1500 and then 2000 or 2500 and buff it back to a gloss. Just the thing for listless farmers from Mitchell, eh?  :D
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

torredcuda

You may slow it down doing what Jimmynick said but if it`s an adhesion problem it`s only a matter of time before it starts peeling again. Only permanent cure is a sand and repaint. The down and dirty way is to use clear nail poish and just brush it over the bad spot.  :unbelievable:
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Rich G.

My 99 Dodge did the same thing. It's only going to get worse unfortunately. The sun must be cooking it. I had to paint the roof and the hood. Finally fixed it by buying a new truck. Hopefully it won't rot like a lot of fairly new trucks I see on the road.

dodj

Short answer....nothing.

Alan's suggestion is of course the best plan of action.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on April 03, 2018, 03:58:38 PM
Short answer....nothing.

Thank you... :worship:  Can't believe he even comes on here admitting he owns a Chev :looney: :thumbdown:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

jimynick

Quote from: anlauto on April 03, 2018, 05:39:36 PM
Short answer....nothing.

Thank you... :worship:  Can't believe he even comes on here admitting he owns a Chev :looney: :thumbdown:
Guess I'd better not even mention our Toyotas, Hondas nor Volkswagens, eh Alan?  :))
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

Quote from: jimynick on April 03, 2018, 07:06:24 PM
Quote from: anlauto on April 03, 2018, 05:39:36 PM
Short answer....nothing.

Guess I'd better not even mention our Toyotas, Hondas nor Volkswagens, eh Alan?  :))

That explains a lot :crazytalk: