Main Menu

What Color Paint On the Tail Light Bulb Housing With Pics

Started by Daveh, May 13, 2017, 08:28:46 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hi Guys,

Can some one tell me if the tail light bulb housings (the portion you see in the trunk) get body color paint or black or a different color?  Thanks

Cuda Cody

I think they were originally plated?  Right?  :thinking:   Dark yellow zinc dichromate wash for 1970 & 1971 Barracuda and a natural finish (kinda silver galvanized look) for Challengers.   :alan2cents:

Daveh

Ok let me rephrase that.  What color would everyone appreciate the plum crazy the same as the car or satin black?  I know it's ultimately up to me but I don't like the yellow and would like something that people are going to say that's cool.   :)

Cuda Cody

I like the look of the tri color silver sheen that somewhat looks factory.  But if I had to pick out of Black or body color Purple, I will always pick anything BUT the body color.  Body Color in places that it shouldn't be always looks cheap and as if someone did not take the time to remove the item to restore it properly.   :alan2cents:    :drinkingbud:

Daveh

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Like it was all painted on the car at once and they didn't care to remove anything.  Great minds....  Well at least yours Cody.  Thanks

anlauto

If you're personalizing your own car, then it comes down to your own personal taste. :alan2cents:

Personally, I think anything but the factory coating (or at least a dull silver colour) will look like crap....but that's my personal taste. :barf:

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MoparDave

Dave I would just spray them a satin silver tone. and roll with that.
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

Daveh

Thanks Everyone I went with painting them ( not purple  :)) and they turned out great after I got off all of the splatter paint that the P.O. put on. 

70/6chall

I used Krylon Dull Aluminum for the taillight buckets inside trunk and also on the rear side marker light buckets after giving them a good cleaning. They actually turned out pretty nice.    Thanks,   Al

anlauto

Quote from: 70/6chall on May 17, 2017, 04:32:44 PM
I used Krylon Dull Aluminum for the taillight buckets inside trunk and also on the rear side marker light buckets after giving them a good cleaning. They actually turned out pretty nice.    Thanks,   Al

I use that a lot as well :bradsthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

73TopBanana

Burdar

To the left side of the picture you can see part of my 73 tail light housing.  The body shop that painted my car sprayed them with a dull silver for some reason even though there was nothing wrong with the original finish.  I was able to remove the paint the body shop had sprayed on it which left the original finish behind.  It looks much better than paint IMO.  Just an FYI, there was a lot of original weatherstrip adhesive on the top sides of the housings.  The factory was pretty messy when it came to gluing down the trunk weatherstripping.

If I had a set of housings where the original finish didn't look good, I think I'd lightly bead blast the surface and spray with a satin clear.  If that didn't look dark enough, I'd have to experiment with some other finishes.

73TopBanana

Awesome...printing it and into my photo "how - to" album
great job!

70rtse

Painted mine but they look bright silver think they were more dull from factory