Main Menu

Wheel Trim

Started by jlemler, February 26, 2018, 05:38:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

jlemler

My 70 Cuda came without the wheel trim.  I found a decent set for 100 dollars.  I'm cleaning and shinning them up.  I noticed on the area that goes between the trim in fender clumps of what I can only describe as hardened goo.  It first I thought it was road tar.  Then I realized it could not be.  I assume it is some type of sealant or glue.  Am I right in this assumption?  What is the best way to get it off?  I tried bug and tar remover, not really effective.  Also when putting it back on if it is sealer what should I use?  I was thinking some type of silicone. 

Thanks,
Jeff

Shane Kelley

Somebody did that.  That's not how they are supposed to be installed. Sealant on the screw threads only to prevent corrosion in the screw hole.
Whatever is on there and bug and tar is not breaking it down you might try paint stripper.  :alan2cents:

Bpret

While we are on wheel opening trim. Can anyone show me what the proper screw looks like. I can't remember is it a plated or chrome? Was the head raised or flat.

Bpret

Bumping this back to page one :)

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Bpret on February 26, 2018, 08:00:27 AM
While we are on wheel opening trim. Can anyone show me what the proper screw looks like. I can't remember is it a plated or chrome? Was the head raised or flat.

http://www.rtspecialties.net/proddetail.asp?prod=1000057

Bpret

Thanks wild rt.I saw that he also offers chrome finish just below it. Mine where off the car when I got it so I have no idea what is right.

1 Wild R/T

Well the plain ones are original but the chrome ones do look better...

GY3R/T

I would try a heat gun before i use chemicals.... :alan2cents: