Main Menu

3M Weatherstrip removal ?

Started by Racer57, January 04, 2020, 08:14:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

I have some yellow 3M thats on painted surface that I'd hate to hurt. Its old and hard. NAPA sold me some spray adhesive remover, but I haven't tried it yet. Thought about using a heat gun to see if it would soften.  Any suggestions ?

Chryco Psycho

acetone should not hurt the paint

jimynick

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 04, 2020, 08:31:22 PM
acetone should not hurt the paint
UNLESS it's lacquer based! And then it'll wash it off if used with enthusiasm. If the paint is BC/CC and is factory, you could likely get away with thinners in a wipe on/wipe off application. I'd be inclined to take some thinners and use a Q stick to carefully apply a wee bit only on the lump and see how it goes. It wouldn't be a bad idea to try your solvent in a non-visible location first- just in case. Good luck  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Racer57

Paint is not clear coat and the 3m is about 3 feet long.   :( 

mopar jack

I wouldn't use acetone. Acetone is now used  in the paint strippers that formally used methaline chloride. I would try  a bug and tar remover that most paint supply stores sell and test a small spot first.

IRON MAN

I suggest using 3M Adehesive Remover # 38984. Summit Racing and most auto paint stores sell it. Try NAPA. A quart is about $30.00. Good luck removing that nasty elephant snot.

JS29

You have to be careful with adhesive remover as it can etch into the finish, don't leave it on there to long. I don't believe bug and tar remover will work, but it won't heart ether.  :alan2cents: 

Dmod1974

I used heat to remove my glued down trunk weatherstrip that was done with the 3M yellow goo, and it peeled off completely without a trace of film.  Might want to get it warm and use a plastic scraper.  If you get it too hot it gets messier, so use caution.

Racer57

I used the NAPA adhesive remover thats a spray can, a heat gun, wood carpentry shim for scraping and patience. Sprayed real close in small areas and it worked really good.  One area I used too much heat and some paint pulled away with the glue. Small area and its fixable.

mopar jack

PPG's bug and tar remover and 3M adhesive remover both have the same main ingredient, naptha.

jimynick

Quote from: mopar jack on January 06, 2020, 08:06:52 PM
PPG's bug and tar remover and 3M adhesive remover both have the same main ingredient, naptha.
There yo go, just get out the old Coleman camp stove and drain a wee bit out! In my dad's day they used to call it white gas.

mopar jack

Back in the day my dad worked in a oil refinery and operated the crude unit where naphtha was produced and just before camping season he would run the unit off test to make white gas for our coleman stoves and lanterns.

Racer57

Quote from: jimynick on January 06, 2020, 08:13:57 PM
Quote from: mopar jack on January 06, 2020, 08:06:52 PM
There yo go, just get out the old Coleman camp stove and drain a wee bit out! In my dad's day they used to call it white gas.
I knew that stuff smelled familiar !!

JS29

:cool: Learned something new! The closest PPG jobber is twenty five miles from me.  :foul:

jimynick

Quote from: JS29 on January 07, 2020, 06:04:36 AM
:cool: Learned something new! The closest PPG jobber is twenty five miles from me.  :foul:
It makes a hell of a fire starter too, but stand way back when you toss a match on it, because it vapourizes and flows and you'll find yourself standing in a nice pool of fire, tout suite! Just be careful about ignition sources!  :cheers: