Main Menu

wiper linkage bushings

Started by GoMangoBoys, March 19, 2021, 04:24:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I am restoring the linkage arms for the wipers and the bushings are bad.  What are the correct replacements for them?  We have the 3 speed wiper motor if that matters.  The bushings are brass it appears.  I see replacements that are white nylon plastic, and that seems fine to me, but they all seem to have a square key on the side.  There does not seem to be provisions for this square key on my linkage arms.
Thanks

three two barrels

Had a local machine shop make these for me, not cheap, $180./12.

Jay Bee

Quote from: Ns1aar on March 19, 2021, 07:22:02 PM
These seem to work https://www.ebay.com/itm/71-GTX-CHARGER-1970-74-CUDA-CHALLENGER-AAR-T-A-WIPER-2-3-SPEED-LINKAGE-1-BUSHING/203005565933?hash=item2f44131bed:g:HooAAOSwvD5aDHLp

Those are also available from the same seller in 2, 3 o4 4 piece kits, in case anyone missed that.
If I was so inclined I'd buy 4 and replace all of them.

Jay Bee

As good as any place to post this.

Jay Bee

@Mr Cuda  I bought the 4 piece set from Sylvain, the measurements are from those.

Mr Cuda

@Jay Bee
 Thank you.  So the bushing heights track the linkage part.
 So if I'm doing them all, I'd need a 50/50 split.
 Now I've found more linkage,  so I'll need more.
 Out here, we use our wipers,  alot. So I assume they are all worn out. Some are egg shaped.

Jay Bee

I have a spare 2822291 and compared it to the bought ones. Both ends of that linkage measured as the taller one. I haven't removed my 2822293 to compare it to the shorter one. Sylvain did tell me to pay close attention to the sizes and the orientation. I guess that's why he puts a mark on one side in his video.

RJChallenger

@Jay Bee . Do you happen to know the diameter of these bushings and the hole size for the arm on the wiper motor? Thinking of making some. Thanks

Jay Bee

I'll look into that tomorrow. I think Sylvain told name the inner diameter is tapered to accommodate the "hammering" in, but I can't remember. I'll pay extra attention when measuring the inner diameters.

EDIT: The taper is on his punches (they're obvious by just looking), not the brass bushings.

Jay Bee