Main Menu

XV Motorsports Lower Radiator Support

Started by 71vert340, June 11, 2023, 10:58:14 AM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

I had one of these lower radiator supports given to me with the 72 Challenger. It is 2 inch square tubing bent to replace the sheet metal lower radiator support. I have the instructions that came with it. When installed (I haven't removed the original support), I will lose 2 inches where the radiator lower tank sits. A stock radiator will not fit unless I lower the new support almost 2 inches which will require other modifications. This is an original 318 non-A/C car with the 22 inch wide radiator. I'll be installing a 360 engine with maybe 300hp. What have others done when installing this type of support? I think I can install a piece of angle steel to gain more rigidity without losing the 2" for the radiator tank. Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Terry W.

HP2

When I bought my support, it came with two, square tube extensions that matched the brace. I wondered what these were for, perhaps this is why they were included.  To use them, I believe you may need to trim the stock panel to allow it to sit lower. I also don't know how you could weld it all the way around without cutting or removing a portion of the stock panel to some degree.

71vert340

I have those extension pieces also but that lowers the bottom another two inches. The brace from the k-member to the lower radiator brace would not work then and a new one would need to be fabricated. The lower radiator brace is now more exposed and visible. I think I have a better way to stiffen the lower radiator brace and make it so it's not very visible. I'll probably just sell the XV brace. Using the XV brace in place of the stock brace would require a shorter radiator. I want as much cooling as possible. Thanks.
Terry W.

HP2

Yes, this exposes the brace beyond the radiator reach of yoke. But it is also much heavier and stronger than the OEM panel and it eliminates the need for the lower k-frame brace. But. to weld all the way around it, this panel must be  removed to some degree to allow access. It can be replaced or patched, and it is all extra work depending on the look you want to achieve.

In my application, I dumped the stock radiator for a three pass crossflow unit that was significantly shorter than the stock unit with considerably more cooling capability. Not stock looking by any stretch, but OEM appearance wasn't a concern for myself. If it is for you, then a different approach is certainly warranted.

Dmod1974

For what it's worth, the USCT core support brace can be installed with the stock one in place and doesn't affect stock style radiator fitment.  It can also be installed with the stock one removed entirely.  I opted to weld it in conjunction with the stock one to make it extra rigid.