Main Menu

Year one vs pg classics

Started by Mr Cuda, August 25, 2022, 07:34:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mr Cuda

Year one  vs of classics. Who makes a better part. Or are they all the same, and just sold by multiple vendors?
Convertible belt moulding. 

anlauto

PG Classics is the manufacture, they are sold through multiple vendors. :alan2cents:

PG  only sells stuff they make. :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Cuda

I've been filling in the gaps with a few reproduction parts from pg classics.
The lenses and plastic bits are nice, even the mirrors look decent.
But  the convertible pot metal belt moulding spear posted above is slightly concerning.
The part looks ok, maybe 85% of factory,  but the arc from qtr top to pinch weld of top is not enough.
I can tell that it will have to be bent downwards to fit. Will the chrome crack? Should I just use my crazed originals? It needs a good 1/2" down to meet the top surround.
So clearly I am not the only person to buy these, how has everyone else's experience been.  I like all comments,  but tagging Alan as I'm sure he's put on many.  @anlauto

anlauto

I've bought and installed four sets from PG Classics, two sets just this year....I don't recall having to bend them  :huh: If I did, it certainly wasn't enough to crack the chrome :dunno:...

I just went outside now and snapped these pictures, if you want any other angles, let me know...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Cuda

Maybe it's been talked about,  the parts that are as good as factory,  and the parts that leave something to be desired.  Like a list of good/bad.
I am still getting parts from pg classic's multiple sales,,  small stuff to fill in on my inventory.
I am fortunate to have bought heavy on nos years ago,  but not every car Is worthy of nos.
I bought painted racing mirrors.  Painted so no chrome issues.  They look good. Hope the manual mirror pivot stay tight once in use. Need to get some chrome one too, hope the chrome holds up. I'd call those a win.
Rallye cluster lens and reset knobs,  those are good. Haven't gotten the wood grain face, I know the color is off.
Seat belt bezels at rug,  black plastic,  and good.
Door sill plates, with hardware,  ok for a driver, screws are a joke. The ribs on the inset look like a threading die cut them,  instead of stamped.  The shimmer that you see in the picture compared to nos is an actual depth and width difference in the metal.  Screws are not flat washer head, but tapered moulding screws. ( Pictures)
Convertible top latches,  like a Salvador Dali  version of factory.  Haven't checked fit yet, better than nothing,  but maybe not better than pitted originals.
I'm sure you can add to the list