Main Menu

Yellow Headlights vs. white??

Started by chaps70rt, November 20, 2021, 09:37:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

chaps70rt

Just wondering what others are thinking about the use of yellow headlights for the hi-beam/inner position on a Challenger front end.

I have seen some examples of this and was wondering what others think of the look and if there is any benefit?

Did the factory ever install these as an option or is this simply an aftermarket choice?

70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi

worthywads

dodj

For actual visibility reasons, they are probably not as good. However, I think it looks cool.
I don't think the factory ever installed them on cars for customers, but they did have them on marketing material. Along with a big MAS fibreglass front spoiler.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

MoparLeo

Check with your states DMV. Illegal in most states except for emergency vehicles.
Standard vehicles, White in front and rear in rear only.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

bentpshrods

Just for looks.       :banana:

blown motor

I prefer original old school. @Brads70 has them on his car. I'm sure he could speak to benefit of them if there is one.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: MoparLeo on November 20, 2021, 03:34:49 PM
Check with your states DMV. Illegal in most states except for emergency vehicles.

Of the various states I've lived in the law has only stated 'no forward facing red or blue lights'

Nothing about forward facing yellow or amber; in fact, most if not all forward facing turn signals are yellow/amber.   

The yellow tinted lights aren't quite as deep of a yellow/amber color as turn signals, and are marketed as fog lamps—and come with a DOT approval.

dodj

Quote from: MoparLeo on November 20, 2021, 03:34:49 PM

Actually the new Challengers can have yellow lights installed from factory, so they must be legal.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

MoparLeo

Running lights and turn signals are not headlights. Those are very dim jut used for short distance lighting. Correct about amber for turn signals as red is only correct for the rear of the vehicle. Just like the lighting on watercraft. It is to tell what end of the vehicle is facing you in the dark. The Challenger yellow is just a ring around the actual headlight. A running light for day use.
Check your local state/Federal agencies for more accurate information.

Bullitt-

looking to your local law it appears your OK if it's halogen sealed beam & US DOT approved..    See section 4.1

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900596

Personally not a fan of the look.   :alan2cents:
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

torredcuda

Not factory but I think it looks old school cool if that is the look you are going for. As for legality I`m not sure but there have been amber fog lights on vehicles  as long as I can remember and I`ve had them and never been pulled over or hassled over it.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

Brads70

I had them on my first Challenger in the 1980's , around here all the cool /fast Mopars had them so I guess I just emulated them?  I have mine wired now as daytime running lights  Jim ( Slotts) supplied me with an extra switch and instead of a white dot it has a yellow dot.  I can also turn them off if I want. Not for everyone, I get that. World would be boring if we were all the same.
Funny how the Modern Challenger copied them though. Some designer at Chrysler liked the look?  :D

Filthy Filbert

Ohio's law:
(F) The headlamps required by the motor vehicle laws of Ohio and this chapter shall be electrically lighted and display a white light.

(1) The light from a spot lamp shall be white.

(2) The light from a supplementary driving or passing lamp shall be white.

(3) The light from an adverse weather lamp shall be white, yellow, or light amber.

(4) Adverse weather lamps shall be so wired that, whenever they are turned on, the tail lamp will also be lighted.

So as long as you have at least 1 pair for forward facing, white lights for "headlamps" then having forward facing yellow, amber, or light-yellow is A-OK.

MoparLeo

To be clear, a running light/fog light is NOT a headlight. Fog lights are supposed to be aimed downward and running lights do not have the power/pattern/projection that is required for headlamps. They are designed for short range, low lumen use.

71383bee

I ran amber bulbs on my 71 roadrunner and 71 super bee for many years. I agree it's likely not legal and they are not that bright but as other mentioned it was more about the old school look.

I never was pulled over for them.  Come to think of it I don't recall doing a lot of night driving so they were on rarely. If you like Em sure why not. If not that's fine too. 

The only issue I recall is they had screw style posts so I had to make some pig tails to connect them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top