Main Menu

Zerk Nut Tool tips ?

Started by Racer57, June 15, 2022, 07:47:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

I'm going to be using this zerk nut tool very soon. It will be used on plastic/fiberglass on a different project. Any tips or are they pretty much straight forward ? I've always wanted one for different stuff, but never got around to getting one until now.

Rich G.

Pretty simple but don't squeeze the crap out of it. Once you feel it stop pulling in your good.

anlauto

Yea, I use mine all the time....pretty easy, it doesn't take a lot of effort as mentioned... :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Racer57

Quote from: anlauto on June 16, 2022, 05:07:26 AM
Yea, I use mine all the time....pretty easy, it doesn't take a lot of effort as mentioned... :bigthumb:

"Doesn't take a lot of effort" LOL  I know its not what you were referring too, but geez !! I'm 68 and don't have the strength I used to have, but the first time I tried to squeeze the handles together for a 10-8 mm zerk, I didn't know if something was wrong or wtf was going on !! Not exactly like a pop rivet !  I did three, took a break, than did the last three !!   LOL My cheap ass gripper needs an rebuild. The bolt that you use to back out of the zerk on mine is in a bind and also added to my problems. If I can't fix it, its going into the trash !  LOL

Thanks for the info though.  :D :D

Katfish

I bought a HF version years ago, but have never used it.
Has to be a YouTube video showing how?

Brads70

Quote from: Racer57 on June 23, 2022, 08:08:29 PM
Quote from: anlauto on June 16, 2022, 05:07:26 AM

"Doesn't take a lot of effort" LOL  I know its not what you were referring too, but geez !! I'm 68 and don't have the strength I used to have, but the first time I tried to squeeze the handles together for a 10-8 mm zerk, I didn't know if something was wrong or wtf was going on !! Not exactly like a pop rivet !  I did three, took a break, than did the last three !!   LOL My cheap ass gripper needs an rebuild. The bolt that you use to back out of the zerk on mine is in a bind and also added to my problems. If I can't fix it, its going into the trash !  LOL

Thanks for the info though.  :D :D

These are not "quality" tooling, hence the price. I had one also harbor freight style and it also bent after awhile, maybe a dozen uses?  I have since replaced it with this style, but haven't used it yet
https://www.amazon.ca/RZX-Riveter-Riveting-Setting-mandrels/dp/B07P7M4BKF

anlauto

:dunno: I do 8-32's for door mirror all the time  :dunno: lately with this resto-mod stuff, I've been using 1/4"-20's even 5/16"-18's without any issues....mine looks the same has yours, been using it for years.
I don't screw the nutsert on all the way until it touches the tool...I leave a 1/8" gap or so, so when you squeeze the tool, the handles closes to a more comfortable position.....then squeeze with two hands....I'm certainly no Mr. Armstrong myself, but I don't find it that hard ??? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FE5CUDA

Originals were 10-24, I use steel nut zerks not aluminum.  You can crimp the steel much harder than the aluminum so there's no chance of, either, stripping the threads or the insert spinning.

Racer57

Quote from: anlauto on June 24, 2022, 05:04:39 AM
:dunno: I do 8-32's for door mirror all the time  :dunno: lately with this resto-mod stuff, I've been using 1/4"-20's even 5/16"-18's without any issues....mine looks the same has yours, been using it for years.
I don't screw the nutsert on all the way until it touches the tool...I leave a 1/8" gap or so, so when you squeeze the tool, the handles closes to a more comfortable position.....then squeeze with two hands....I'm certainly no Mr. Armstrong myself, but I don't find it that hard ??? :huh:

Ok Popeye  :D :D :D

RUNCHARGER

Practice before using it on the final project. You can damage your weak surface material with too much force.
Sheldon

MoparCarGuy

This whole thread is making my head spin. Zerk? A Zerk is a grease fitting.

Those are called Rivet Nuts unless Zerk makes a RivNut® tool.  :notsure:

Racer57

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on June 24, 2022, 09:48:51 PM
This whole thread is making my head spin. Zerk? A Zerk is a grease fitting.

Those are called Rivet Nuts unless Zerk makes a RivNut® tool.  :notsure:
OOooops   :bradsthumb: Your worse than my Wife. You knew wtf I was talking about.  :D  :vipermanhiding: