Main Menu

MOPAR NATIONALS...Looking ahead, now that Carlisle is over.

Started by 76orangewagon, July 18, 2017, 04:47:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

76orangewagon

Ok Folks..Now that Carlisle is behind us (Sorry, I couldn't attend) who is planning on attending the Mopar Nationals August 11-13 ?
I know I missed a great opportunity to meet some of the most knowledgeable E body minds out there but hopefully some of you are planning on attending the Nat's.   

anlauto

I know the "Nats" is your home State show so I'll keep my negative comments to a minimum  :-X

I attended every year from 1986 to 1999. Those were they "good ol' days" of Brice Road etc...quickly after starting to attend Carlisle in 1994, I realized how a car show is supposed to be run.

I personally stop going to the Nationals and never looked back. From what I understand it has never got much better. In fact I was talking with a lot of vendors, large ones like Mega Parts, and they refuse to attend....and say the show has gone downhill fast...

The show is just kaos, but I too, are curious as to how many of our members do still attend. :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

76orangewagon

Quote from: anlauto on July 18, 2017, 05:00:08 PM
I know the "Nats" is your home State show so I'll keep my negative comments to a minimum  :-X

I attended every year from 1986 to 1999. Those were they "good ol' days" of Brice Road etc...quickly after starting to attend Carlisle in 1994, I realized how a car show is supposed to be run.

I personally stop going to the Nationals and never looked back. From what I understand it has never got much better. In fact I was talking with a lot of vendors, large ones like Mega Parts, and they refuse to attend....and say the show has gone downhill fast...

The show is just kaos, but I too, are curious as to how many of our members do still attend. :thinking:

I think that the loss of Vendors is the most disappointing thing for me in the past 5 or so years, I still go for the fun under the HDK tent (HemiDenny K frames) and hotel foolishness but you are correct about your overall assessment and don't worry about it being my home state...I get it.

Cuda Cody

I really wish I could go, but it just doesn't work out for me this year.  It's hard to do 2 big shows that far from home in 1 year.  I will go someday.   :fingerscrossed:  Carlisle is hard to beat, but shows like Nationals and Spring Fling still add a lot of value for Mopar fans. 

Burdar

I might be going. I need to get my Mopar fix at some point this year.

MEK-Dangerous

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 18, 2017, 05:15:45 PM
I really wish I could go, but it just doesn't work out for me this year.  It's hard to do 2 big shows that far from home in 1 year.  I will go someday.   :fingerscrossed:  Carlisle is hard to beat, but shows like Nationals and Spring Fling still add a lot of value for Mopar fans.

Just be aware....With the Nationals in Ohio, everything is twice the cost of Carlisle.

Parking is crazy for show cars. Wedge in where you can. The good about it is having the drag strip right there. This show is in August, and there is no shade anywhere, unless you bring your own tent.  I got burnt to a crisp on a cloudy day out there. How does that happen?     :-[  Yeah, I didn't wear sunblock.    ::)

ViperMan

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 18, 2017, 05:15:45 PM

I dunno, Cody - I went once with Spikedog, Andy, Rob, and a few others, and it was very meh...

Cars are randomly parked everywhere, no classes or groups, MEK is right - the sun is brutal with nowhere to cool down - I think you have to bring your own tents but you can (or could) rent golf carts which meant people were constantly running you over...  The drag strip is cool but I can only watch so many cars zip down a straight track...

Rob got me in for free and Dave helped me out too (we had just welcomed Melanie to the family and were borderline bankrupt) so I'm thankful for the experience, plus I believe it was Andy's last car show, but I really have no interest in returning.

From the sounds of it, if you don't go soon, there might be no show to go to later.

anlauto

From the sounds of it, if you don't go soon, there might be no show to go to later.

People have been saying that for years....People bring up the same complaints for years, but keep attending. There's enough racers and die hard "Nationals Fans" that Jim Belinda will keep stuffing his pockets full....

Compared to Carlisle, it's easy to see who puts on shows because they are true car enthusiasts and who puts on a show simply for the money......
Kinda like comparing the owner of E-Bodies.org to the owner of Cuda-Challenger.com.......But I didn't say that out loud.... :-X
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Burdar

Sorry, it's apples and oranges.  You can't compare Carlisle...where the same people put on shows every weekend for the entire summer, at the same facility...to The Nat's, that is owned by one person and that is held at an old racetrack that he doesn't own.  I'm sure Jim Belinda would love to have all of the roads paved and organized better but it's not his facility.   

QuoteCompared to Carlisle, it's easy to see who puts on shows because they are true car enthusiasts and who puts on a show simply for the money......

I disagree with this statement.  Correct me if I'm wrong but Carlisle Events is a business.  Their job is to make money by putting on shows/events at their facility.   I believe Jim Belinda owns some pretty cool Mopars so to assume he's in it for ONLY financial gain is inaccurate IMO.  There are definitely things I like about Carlisle better than the Nats.  But there are also things about the Nats I like better then Carlisle.

Two completely different shows with a different "feel". :alan2cents:

anlauto

I'm not going to start a debate comparing those two shows, but I think if "gate money" was spent on people to organise the show field better, "gate money" spent on better temporary washroom facilities for the show, better garbage collection, better food etc...etc...etc...whether or not the race track has these amenities, money could be spent by Jim Belinda to provide a better show...period    :alan2cents:

If you want to see how a Mopar show is run by people who don't own the facility ....Check out Moparfest in Canada....They convert the fairgrounds they rent into a extremely organised show field, they have at least 50-60 people in matching bright coloured T-Shirts running the field, parking cars, answering questions, helping folks, etc...

At the Nationals...you pay your money, wait in a long line up to get in the show gates.....then that's it...you're on your own once inside....Polish up your nice restored Challenger, park it on the show field only to have a rot box Nissan Maxima park beside you all day ! :thumbdown:

ViperMan

What is the event even called anymore now?  IIRC, he was denied the right to call it the "Mopar Nationals", right?

anlauto

Quote from: ViperMan on July 20, 2017, 08:14:14 AM
What is the event even called anymore now?  IIRC, he was denied the right to call it the "Mopar Nationals", right?

Simply called "The Nationals " http://www.moparnats.org/

76orangewagon

So I guess nobody likes the Nationals anymore and it sounds like there isn't much love for it.....I always see some very nice restored cars despite the disorganized layout. Sure I wish it was better but I don't think it's really that terrible either, I mean is a Mopar show, I might think differently if it was a full days drive but only being two hours away to hang out with lots of cool and historic Mopars under the HDK tent isn't a bad way to spend a weekend.

RUNCHARGER

Well: I think any Mopar show is better than staying home and watching TV or whatever.
Sheldon

anlauto

I'm still curious ?
How many E-Bodies.org members going ?

Is it worth putting a meeting spot together, maybe a couple of pop-up tents with an E-Bodies.org banner ?

I'm sure @Cuda Cody could get a banner out to somebody if they want to support the web site  :dunno: