Main Menu

Carlisle parking

Started by Rich G., March 14, 2018, 07:23:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rich G.

I know at Carlisle they have you park in your class which sucks if you want to park together with your friends if they don't have the same cars. Any chance we can get a club parking section so we can all park together so we're not spread out all over the place? I talk to them every year about that but they don't want to hear it.

Spikedog08

If you are bringing an ebody, our tent is typically in the middle of them or at least close.  I have not had an issue any year where I couldn't at least see my car from the tent.  Lately the ebody section hasn't been full which is concerning, I think a lot of the past ebody owners are buying newer challengers.  It is what it is . . . .

:dunno:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Cudagirl3406

I will be there.  :bradsthumb: Hopefully our cars aren't parked too far away.  Glad to hear the tent is close by too!

ViperMan

I've been going to the show since 2009 with my Viper, and I've ALWAYS parked in the Viper section, then walked nearly 100 yards to where the club tent is located.  I NEVER get to see my car, as there's a significant hill between the two areas.  It's never bothered me.  I've never seen anyone touching or messing with someone else's car, I've never had anything more than a photo voucher slipped under my windshield wiper, or an occasional car-show flyer slipped onto my driver's seat.

Unless you're literally going to sit in your car the ENTIRE weekend, there's no way you're going to keep it completely safe.  So as we say in the homebrewing community, "RDWHAHB" - Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew...  :)

:drinkingbud:

Cuda_mark

Quote from: ViperMan on March 15, 2018, 04:55:32 AM
I've been going to the show since 2009 with my Viper, and I've ALWAYS parked in the Viper section, then walked nearly 100 yards to where the club tent is located.  I NEVER get to see my car, as there's a significant hill between the two areas.  It's never bothered me.  I've never seen anyone touching or messing with someone else's car, I've never had anything more than a photo voucher slipped under my windshield wiper, or an occasional car-show flyer slipped onto my driver's seat.

Unless you're literally going to sit in your car the ENTIRE weekend, there's no way you're going to keep it completely safe.  So as we say in the homebrewing community, "RDWHAHB" - Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew...  :)

Are you bringing some of that homebrew to Carlisle this year Viperman?  :cheers:

Rich G.

I'm not concerned about the safety of the car. I've never had a problem in all the years I've been there. It's just nice to be able to relax and hang out with your friends and still be by your car to talk to people who want to talk about your car. So many times I've wanted to ask something about someone else's car and they were never around.

cudaboy340

Hi Everyone!

It's been a while since I've been on here but I'm hoping to get active again. Trust me, as soon as I get started on one of my 'Cudas, I'll be here all the time looking for info and sharing my progress. Anyway, for now I'm here to address the topic of parking at Carlisle.

When anyone asks me about the parking situation, my response is always the same. If a club wants to park together, if they span a variety of models, the best I can do is to see if I have a spot somewhere on the fringe of the show field that might be available. Even then, parking is always limited. If a club focuses on a certain model or body type (such as this group), I put the club tent in that area of the show field.

On the topic of parking with friends rather than by class, there just isn't enough room at a show this size to do that. The cars barely fit as it is. Someone pointed out in an earlier comment that there has been space in the E-Body area of the show field lately and that's true. I think there are a couple of reasons for that. For one, the E-Body classes vary in size quite a bit from year to year making it impossible to see a trend. FYI, when I lay out the show field I use about 15 years worth of data so I can do my best at making enough room for each class. It's never 100% but it gets me pretty close for the most part. However, if one class explodes unexpectedly, there is a domino effect that messes up all of the classes in that area as people look for other places to park. Another thing that creates a little extra space in the E-Body area is that curve at the end of the rows by the shale bank. There's more space there than the map I use indicates. Lastly, I try to be optimistic on the E-Body classes so I try to give a little more room there. Honestly, I try to be optimistic on ALL of the classes unless I have a clear trend showing decline.

One thing I get a lot of compliments about is the organization of the show. So laying out the field in classes is for more than just the judging. Trust me, letting people park wherever they want would be WAY EASIER for me. I spend about 3 days on the show field layout each year. The first 2 days are 10-12 hours each. The 3rd day is usually about 20 hours. I start at 8am one day and finish around 5-6am the next day. Based on surveys and my experience in the hobby, about 1/3 of the people want judging, about 1/3 would rather just park and have fun and about 1/3 don't really care one way of the other. But I'm pretty sure if I took away the judging, that last 1/3 would complain. So for the time being, the judging/voting will remain as will the class parking.

I've never told anyone that I don't want to hear about the parking...or any part of the event for that matter. This is YOUR show so I always want to hear from you. I might think something is just fine unless I hear from you. Many of the changes at the show have come from people contacting me. I can't be everywhere so I count on the attendees to be my eyes and ears. I can't always accommodate every request, but if I can't, I'll be sure to explain why. I'm an enthusiast FIRST just like each of you so  I'm always looking out for your best interests.

I hope this helps in some way. I get super busy starting in January so I may be slow to reply, but if you have something that you'd like to share, ask, complain about or whatever, you can always email me directly at EdB@CarlisleEvents.com and you will get a reply...it just might take a while during this time of year  :-[

Thanks!!

Ed

ViperMan

Quote from: Cuda_mark on March 15, 2018, 05:36:43 AM
Quote from: ViperMan on March 15, 2018, 04:55:32 AM

Are you bringing some of that homebrew to Carlisle this year Viperman?  :cheers:

Good question, Mark.  At this point I don't really know - my family is making a substantial relocation in a few weeks and I'm going to be doing a lot of traveling right up to July, so I don't know what kind of spare time I'm going to have.  That being said, bringing a Mopar-themed homebrew has been a tradition of mine since 2011, and I'm not one to let traditions like that slide!!  So I'll do my best, for sure!

Spikedog08

Thanks for the reply Ed!  For all that do not know, as far as I'm concerned, Ed is in charge of almost everything at Carlisle and he is my "Go To" guy when I need something.  Personally I wouldn't change a thing as I think the show is organized and run very well!  He works with me on the tent and I am satisfied with the location as it is typically right in the middle of the E-bodies. 

Anyways, big thanks to Ed for all that he does for us and the show!   :worship:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

Being a "show goer" for over 30 years...I really appreciate when the cars are organized by body style. I love E Bodies, so of course that's the first place I head when checking out the show field.....then I can easily select what else I want to check out simply by finding their basic location....it's simple and very convenient  :twothumbsup:  Also a great time saver, because I don't have to check out or walk past the cars that don't interest me, and I go home satisfied that I've seen every cool E Body that was there.....

Now in comparison to The Mopar Nationals show field, or even the huge show field at Moparfest......I feel I could walk for hours looking for great E Bodies, and I never know if I missed one hiding somewhere....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

I appreciate the hard work you do Ed and I've been going to shows all over for more years then I can remember and this is by far the best and most organized show around. When you have a group of friends going and every car is a different model we are all over the place. That's our only minor complaint we ever had.  I wish the place was bigger so we'd have a just hang out area. It's great to see all the models organized together but it's also nice when they're not so you never know what you will see as you walk the miles of show field. As much as I love E Bodies after walking past 20 or so it's like oh look another Cuda. Either way it's a great show and I'll be going here for as many more years asi can!

ViperMan

Quote from: Rich G. on March 15, 2018, 08:01:23 PM
I appreciate the hard work you do Ed and I've been going to shows all over for more years then I can remember and this is by far the best and most organized show around. When you have a group of friends going and every car is a different model we are all over the place. That's our only minor complaint we ever had.  I wish the place was bigger so we'd have a just hang out area. It's great to see all the models organized together but it's also nice when they're not so you never know what you will see as you walk the miles of show field. As much as I love E Bodies after walking past 20 or so it's like oh look another Cuda. Either way it's a great show and I'll be going here for as many more years asi can!

Yeah, on the same token it's kinduva buzz-kill when you go somewhere like the Mopar Nats and there's a Cuda parked next to a Neon or something...  :)

anlauto

I love the Mopar Nationals......You're in the show field polishing your pride and joy Hemicuda when a dude pulls in beside you with a Nissan Sentra.....says he's just picking up parts from the swap meet......8 hours later, his dirty piece of crap is still parked there getting more stares then your Hemi :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

Ok I get it , you don't like my idea. ( LOL ) We'll at least there's no Nissans at Carlisle! That Neon guy probably hates when a Cuda or Challenger parks next to him also.

Lemontwist

Just be glad you don't go to the Ford show or the GM show.. The Ford show has turned into all new Mustangs and a VERY FEW classics.  The GM show has three cars show up  (exaggerating) but not well attended.  I have always appreciated being in a class.  Never cared for the Mopar Nats.  Less vendors and too mixed up.  I belong to Ed's club Mopar Rebellion and I've always been able to see everything I WANTED TO SEE AND STILL BE WITH MY CLUB. BTW don't forget to come to our kickoff party on Thursday night at the Expo Center
Drew