Main Menu

Traveling to Carlisle, what would you do?

Started by Spikedog08, July 10, 2019, 08:58:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Spikedog08

So I am planning my route to Carlisle and using the toll road, I can get there in about 7 1/2 hours plus stops which will cost about $100 in tolls.    But there is a route with no tolls that will take me 9 hours plus stops and save me $100.  Is it worth the time on the toll roads?  Driving by myself is boring but I have a music list planned out already! 

1 1/2 hours difference and save $100?  Would you?   :thinking:

Looks like both routes have a ton of construction . . .
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

anlauto

I would pay the tolls, but I'm only a visitor on you highway system... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

72 Challenger

Two years ago I was driving a BMW 3 series M sport and the trip to Carlisle cost me two front shocks on the I-81. I'd pay the tolls for a quality ride.
Someday I will have a J0b.

303 Mopar

Is that one way or round trip?  I personally would put on a great playlist, save the $100-200 for something at Carlisle and enjoy the sites and experience.

Rich G.

Whatever rode has less tractor trailers on is what I'd take. They're non stop on 81

Spikedog08

Well looking at both route, I am worried about the non toll path as looks like some is divided highway .  . . And appears both have construction . . . I guess I'm leaning towards paying the $100 and getting there faster. 

Quote from: 303 Mopar on July 10, 2019, 10:22:34 AM
Is that one way or round trip?  I personally would put on a great playlist, save the $100-200 for something at Carlisle and enjoy the sites and experience.

Yeah that is one way . . .  :looney:

Brads70

I'd try the scenic route . I always enjoy getting off the beaten path! Seeing new things etc...  If it's horrible at least you know then take the toll roads back.

1Burgfish

:wrenching: Last year I ended my trip to Carlisle with a whipped out cam lobe on my 5.7 Hemi because of a stuck lifter; I was out 300 miles from reaching home close to the boarder of Tennessee. That fiasco cost me another $3000.00 in repairs to get back on the road two weeks later, only good thing was that I was towing my RV with me. :bricks:

MEK-Dangerous

If it were me, I would pay the piper. We aren't talking a 3 hour trip turned into 4 hours by avoiding tolls. 9 hours behind the wheel is crazy boring by yourself.

Bpret

I would put the extra hundred towards a plane ticket get there in 2hrs😂

Spikedog08

Ok been working on this trip all day . . Car loaded and I'm almost packed up! 

Chryco Psycho

Road Trip !!
I should join you , I am used to driving 17+ hrs / day , I would take the non toll road & save the $200 !
SAfe travels my friend  :bigthumb:

ViperMan

Sell a house. Use the commission to pay the tolls. Then get the hell over here so we can have a beer, Nancy-boy...   :yes:

cordodge

We left the house at 3:30am crossed over the bluewater bridge headed for Carlisle traveling by Detroit and Toledo ,Then drove through torrential rain for 3 hours but still made it by 1:30.

Voodoo Child

Don't matter witch you choose, it's Pennsylvania all are roads ""SUCK"" !!!! :pullinghair: