Main Menu

1971 Hemi Cuda Convertible | 18 spline 4 Speed

Started by MasonDaniel7, August 16, 2020, 12:18:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cudamadd

B -body pistol grips belongs in B -body Cars IMO if you are doing a clone do it as close as possible just me 2 cents

Brads70

Nice car, not perfect but I'd still love to own it. Shiny steering column sticks out to me....

anlauto

Absolutely hate the wheels :barf:

It's this line that gets me the most...Anyone can install a Hemi in a convertible Cuda and call it a Hemi Cuda Convertible but this one is the finest example of as close as you can come to the real thing without breaking the bank.   Personally, I would have thought it was restored by a shop that had no clue how to restore an E Body, there is SO MANY things wrong I don't know where to start....I'm sure "Dave Wise" was shaking his head when he was asked to put on "all the correct markings" :looney:

Only thing I see that I like, is that they didn't ruin the car by adding frame connectors :bigthumb:

And in today's market, I don't doubt he spent over $200K on the resto, but his asking price is about one third too high in my opinion. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

I agree: I love the car actually but if you're going to tell everyone it's perfect then doing some homework would have been smart. Most of the little dustups could be fixed in a couple days but not at that price.
It's a personal thing but to me the only Hemi Cudas were built by Chrysler. Cars like this are Cudas (or I guess Barracudas) with a Hemi.
Sheldon

Katfish

Quote from: anlauto on August 16, 2020, 03:28:31 AM
, there is SO MANY things wrong I don't know where to start....

I'm curious, for educational purposes can you list the top 5?

anlauto

As Sheldon pointed out...a lot of details can be fixed in a weekend...but NOT expected on a $180K car...

No particular order.

WRONG shifter as pointed out
Missing belt moldings on the doors
Missing rocker moldings and blackout (needed for a correct clone)
Missing Tail Panel trim and poor black-out masking job (needed for a correct clone)
Missing Rad Support black-out
Hood Latch Tray should be body colour....big oops from the paint department
Painted over undercoating on floor pans, did they paint over rust too ?
The tail light harness looks like it's over 50 years old...$180K and old used wiring ? How's the rest of the wiring ?
Incorrect 15X7 rims...With Tony's new rims out, there is no excuse !
Painted Vent tube in the trunk
Missing Plymouth Hood emblem
Wrong Spare tire, not even a BFG

Sorry, that's more than five...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

YYZ

Quote from: Katfish on August 16, 2020, 07:49:00 AM
Quote from: anlauto on August 16, 2020, 03:28:31 AM
, there is SO MANY things wrong I don't know where to start....

I'm curious, for educational purposes can you list the top 5?

Just a quick look around the outside:

- no stainless trim around the tail panel blackout
- tail panel blackout is wrong colour
- small 'PLYMOUTH' emblem missing from leading edge of hood
- no belt (top of door) moulding.  That's a doubly-big miss since they put the long quarter panel spears on which are supposed to line up with the door moulding.  I didn't look closely to see if the mouldings were '71 or '70
- black painted latch tray for the hood latch
- hood latch hardware and spring painted, not plated, and painted incorrectly at that
- generic aftermarket brake booster and master

And what's with the 6-pack or cast crank harmonic balancer?

anlauto

These are all just minor things, but you can't say it's the "finest example" or "closest to the real thing" with such obvious glaring mistakes, and you certainly can't expect $180K for it. :alan2cents:

I think it's a safe assumption to say it was built by a reputable shop that doesn't have a lot of E Body Mopar experience.   :alan2cents:

I have a REAL 1971 FJ6 Cuda convertible coming to my shop later this year....Can't wait... :drooling:

Skdmark

Pet peeve that sends off alarms is when "frame off restoration" is used on a unibody.

For that money I would expect all of the missing details above to be correct along with proper finishes on the under body and suspension.
Along with an original 71 hemi with correct 71 carbs.

With all the things needing fixing or to be redone, 125k-135k would be what I would be willing to pay.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: