Main Menu

AAR on Ebay - Seems like it was a good deal

Started by rocketresto, February 28, 2018, 03:02:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

rocketresto

Rocket Restorations
Olympia, Washington

Cuda Cody

It seems like a good price.  Those are the "betweener" cars that I have a hard time putting a good number on.  They are too nice to restore and yet they are not a show car.  You really just buy it and rive the wheels off it.  Pure enjoyment right there.  If you restore it you'll have way to much in to it, but it's a ton better then a project.  I think the column shift auto holds it back a bit too.

Jim AAR

Quote from: Cuda Cody on February 28, 2018, 03:39:23 PM
It seems like a good price.  Those are the "betweener" cars that I have a hard time putting a good number on.  They are too nice to restore and yet they are not a show car.  You really just buy it and rive the wheels off it.  Pure enjoyment right there.  If you restore it you'll have way to much in to it, but it's a ton better then a project.  I think the column shift auto holds it back a bit too.

Yep that's where i am with my AAR, doesn't need to really be restored because since the last time I partially restored it, it is still in really good shape from then.

The only good thing with mine, is if I do restore it, I only have about $25,000 (Total) into it including what I paid for it in 1979 and what I have spent on it since I have had it.

Add about Max $30,000 to do a total Restoration and I'm still way ahead of the game. Don't need many parts or rebuilding/restoring of much. My biggest expense will be Final Body Prep & Paint as I will do pretty much everything else myself, IE. Dismantling, Blasting, Metalwork (dependent on what the blasting reveals, shouldn't be too much as it was mostly done once already), Part Rebuilding/Restoration etc.

One of these days I will bite the bullet and do it. It's hard to justify to the wife though as she looks at it and says why would you want to spend that kind of money when there is really nothing wrong with it from her point of view.

anlauto

Jim, you would be much better off selling your AAR to me. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Jim AAR on February 28, 2018, 04:14:33 PM

Yep that's where i am with my AAR, doesn't need to really be restored because since the last time I partially restored it, it is still in really good shape from then.

The only good thing with mine, is if I do restore it, I only have about $25,000 (Total) into it including what I paid for it in 1979 and what I have spent on it since I have had it.

Add about Max $30,000 to do a total Restoration and I'm still way ahead of the game. Don't need many parts or rebuilding/restoring of much. My biggest expense will be Final Body Prep & Paint as I will do pretty much everything else myself, IE. Dismantling, Blasting, Metalwork (dependent on what the blasting reveals, shouldn't be too much as it was mostly done once already), Part Rebuilding/Restoration etc.

One of these days I will bite the bullet and do it. It's hard to justify to the wife though as she looks at it and says why would you want to spend that kind of money when there is really nothing wrong with it from her point of view.

And if you do drive it as it should be & don't just see it as an investment I think she's right... When the car is super nice it's not as much fun to drive....Sounds to me like your car is perfect.....

Jim AAR

Quote from: anlauto on February 28, 2018, 04:21:30 PM
Jim, you would be much better off selling your AAR to me. :alan2cents:

:D Well if I ever do sell it before/if I restore it again, sorry to say Alan but you would be 3rd in line as I have a couple of buds here in Winnipeg that have been asking me for the past 20 years when I'm going to sell it to one of them. Never say never, but won't be happening any time soon.  :haha:

Jim AAR

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on February 28, 2018, 04:23:02 PM
Quote from: Jim AAR on February 28, 2018, 04:14:33 PM

And if you do drive it as it should be & don't just see it as an investment I think she's right... When the car is super nice it's not as much fun to drive....Sounds to me like your car is perfect.....

You hit the nail right on the head Wild, when I restored it in the early 80's, it looked so nice and clean and for the first few years, I wouldn't drive it if it was going to rain and if I ever got caught in the rain would pull over to the side of the road until it stopped and the streets dried up because it was so hard to clean after.  :haha: :haha: I still won't take it out in the rain but don't care if I get caught in it anymore.  :haha: :haha:

RUNCHARGER

The car listed was probably priced about right, the gauge cluster and shifter has to figure into the price along with the condition.
I myself will not own a car I don't/can't drive. I won't put together something that isn't show worthy but if it doesn't stay that way, oh well. A car can always be redone once it gets haggard. I see it as the same as buying a new vehicle to drive. I don't drive them like a daily but they aren't fun when they sit in the garage.
Sheldon

Jim AAR

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on February 28, 2018, 07:09:56 PM
The car listed was probably priced about right, the gauge cluster and shifter has to figure into the price along with the condition.
I myself will not own a car I don't/can't drive. I won't put together something that isn't show worthy but if it doesn't stay that way, oh well. A car can always be redone once it gets haggard.

Same with me, cars are made to be driven and not just looked at like a painting.............

HP_Cuda

If I had bought that AAR and since it's a column shift auto that would come out and a 4 speed in it's place.

Drive it till the wheels come off.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200