Main Menu

FC7 T/A on ebay

Started by JH27N0B, March 04, 2023, 07:34:51 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

Barry is posting on another board that the dash VIN tag is fake on this car.  The listing doesn't show a picture of the tag and he doesn't provide any more info on why he has it in his blacklist... the VIN isn't in the the eBay listing either.
At any rate anyone interested in it should do their homework. Definitely a whole lot of incorrect items with the resto but still looks like a nice driver local cruise night type ride.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/155432054807?

cuda hunter

JH23J0B297763

He appears very confidant in his assessment of this T/A. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

cuda hunter

https://www.hamtramck-historical.com/foundByVin70.shtml

No mention of said bad vin on the "T/A" registry.   Not on any of the lists. 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

JH27N0B

He posted later the car was listed in 2012 and at the time it was stated in the ad that the dash VIN was missing.
It's always possible the lost VIN tag turned up somewhere and got reinstalled on the car over the last 11 years since then.  Unlikely but you never know it might have been found, so calling it fake is making assumptions unless he's seen it and can see errors in the font or something.

anlauto

There's company's that make reproduction VIN tags for whatever reason, lost, stolen damaged whatever. Barry some times records "black flags" without knowing all the facts. The dash tag being an aftermarket, is a lot different then it being "faked" for scrupulous reasons in my opinion.

I don't know any facts or details on this car whatsoever...maybe Barry does  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

I feel the same about fender tags.  If the data exists and a new tag is made from that info, is it "fake"?
My T/As fender tag was rusty by one screw hole.  I had a new one made.  Someone seeing the tag on my car might yell "fake tag" if the font or spacing isn't perfect. It looks great to me, but some have sharper eyes than me.
I of course have my original tag stashed away. In fact I sometimes think I need to put it in the car somewhere, if I get run over by a bus the binder with some records including my original tag likely gets tossed. Then my estate sells the car and it would be forever tainted by its "fake tag" despite it having all the right codes and VON copied from its original tag.
I hear stories of people who replaced their cracked dashes decades ago with a nice one they found in a junkyard or something, and naively forgot to save their VIN tag.  So the car is forever tainted now even if a good repro could be sourced now? Why if it gets lost can it never be legally replaced in a way people accept?

Ricomondo

@JH27N0B Brad, the seller has been trying to sell this car on Facebook for awhile now.( I know you don't do FB...lol)  Has TA block # 0B282233.
The two big holes in the drivers inner fender are a big turn off as are the holes drilled for the MSD ignition box and the relocation of the ECU box to the passenger side inner fender (more holes). I think that price needs to come down quite a bit from $68.7K. Drivers side roof pics, it looks like rust bubbles under the vinyl as well just above the 1/4 trim.
70' FE5 Challenger T/A
71' GY3 Demon 340

MoparCarGuy

The overseas reproduction dash VIN plates are incorrect with a font that is different from the originals.
That is a good thing for the hobby.

anlauto

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on March 04, 2023, 08:10:41 PM
The overseas reproduction dash VIN plates are incorrect with a font that is different from the originals.
That is a good thing for the hobby.

So is that  "FAKE" tag then, or a reproduction tag ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

I'm afraid I'm too retarded or technically challenged to figure out how to take a screen shot off my iPad to post here, but someone posted a picture of the alleged fake VIN tag off the T/A here.  It doesn't look like the example of the foreign source ones just posted?
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3126204/buyer-beware-on-jh23j0b297763-counterfeit-vin-tag.html#Post3126204

MoparCarGuy

This is a deep subject. I generated a new post.
https://forum.e-bodies.org/vin-fender-tag-build-sheet-and-date-codes/13/thoughts-on-fake-versus-reproduction-dash-vinfender-tag/27743/

The plate in question for a real T/A JH23J0B297763 versus an original T/A JH23J0B307162 dash VIN plate. I do not see a difference but we need a better original to compare.
Was the original 297763 plate found? How do you "throw shade" on the car if the owner really found the dash plate?  :thinking: