Real TA at a pretty decent price

Started by 70 Challenger Lover, September 21, 2019, 01:14:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

like the black roof better than the white roof it was coded for  :twothumbsup:

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 21, 2019, 02:31:45 PM
like the black roof better than the white roof it was coded for  :twothumbsup:

Looks like a pretty nice driver. Usually these cars are either trash for $30k or restored to perfection for $75k. If I was looking for a fun TA to drive around in, this would be worth a look. You could drive it for a couple years and still get all your money back when you sell it. Perhaps even more.

JH27N0B

I'd prefer it to have the original white top just because it would be such an oddball!
The first T/A I ever looked at up close was in '77 when I was around 15.  I see a red T/A with white vinyl top drive by and park in front of my friends house on the next block.  I hopped on my bike and rode down to take a closer look.  The owner Scott was friends with my buddy's older brother.
Scott hated the white top and removed it not long afterwards.  His car was the one used by Monogram to help design their T/A model kit.  He still owns his car today and it was featured in Muscle Car Review last year. People give him grief about removing the top, but he hated it, and kept the trim so if he ever sells it the new owner can put the top back on if they desire, to have the only red with white top and black interior T/A anyone has ever seen.
Back on topic, the car seems a good deal.  From the description, I wonder if I've spoken to the owner and dealt with him on some parts a few years ago.  Bob from CO, a big T/A and AAR fan who has restored several.  Sadly he'd had a stroke and was very difficult to understand and communicate with.  Maybe that's why a friend is helping him sell.

anlauto

I would much prefer the white top too :drooling:...but what's with the dark blue seats ? :o
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

With the cost savings, the new owner can change the top and seats back.

benlavigne

Also changed from an automatic to a 4-speed...

Ben

RUNCHARGER

I seen the trans swap thing. That's a great deal as the buyer doesn't have to wrestle with doing it himself.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

It's coded for a console, no console in the car which I personally like, but the 4 speed hump looks odd near the front to me... I could be wrong but it just looks funny..

RUNCHARGER

Funny camera angle perhaps, maybe he has the seat slid up for a short person. The stick isn't jammed fully in with the shot of my R/T-SE, both seats are full back so I can get in them.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Does this look normal?  Oh, the dash pad is another $1000..

Husk Challenger

Maybe the gearbox is in the 2nd or 4th gear?
Challenger 73' 383ci 4spd ---> SOLD
Challenger 71' 318 904 RT clone ---> Stroker 318/392 Tf 727!

Brads70

If your being picky the hood is a reproduction and has no squirters, air shocks ( :thumbdown: )
chrome jack, missing cowl seal,trunk floor looks a little shetchy, actually all the undercarrage does as well? Saying that I'd say it's a safe bet it has bondo in it? I'm wondering if the speedo is right? Looks to not be a 70 only speedo?   The fender stud/nut in the fender tag picture looks to be hanging on buy a thread or two? What's up with that?. It's been drilled for rust proofing oil. The rear bumper fits a whole lot better than mine does! LOL  But pretty cool car for the money though I'd say?  I'd love to own it!

70 Challenger Lover

So let me put it this way....you're really in the market for a real TA but you just can't justify 75k or more for perfection. Every now and then, rusted out junker TAs projects come along with missing engines, interiors, carbs and air cleaner setup, and they are never offered for under 30k. Or there is this decent looking driver for an extra ten grand that still has its original engine and can be driven now. If all the things mentioned were fixed properly, it wouldn't be at 41k anymore. It needs many things for sure but show me a better one at this price.

That shifter does have something going on but I bet it's an easy fix. Some of the other hurst shifter assemblies like the one in my buddies GTO had a mounting plate that could be angled into different positions for driver comfort and I was thinking they might have cobbled the wrong pieces together. Could also be why the center console was ditched. That conversion would be one area I checked out very well.

anlauto

I think what people are just trying to point out is that it is priced accordingly ...It's not much of a bargain in my opinion. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration