Main Menu

Selling 1971 Challenger R/T V code

Started by JH27N0B, May 03, 2021, 07:50:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

Quote from: YYZ on May 13, 2021, 04:40:27 AM
I am astonished that this car hasn't sold yet.
In the years I've had it listed on Cars-online I've only had 2 serious potential buyers.  First came out shortly after I listed it, and was a Ford guy who wanted a V code Challenger, he liked the car but was kept looking at one of my '70s parked in the garage.  He emailed me the next day and said he really liked the car, but decided he wanted a 70.  I'd given him Greg Nelsons name as a reference, and it appears to me that Greg sold him a B7 70 V code.  At least I could have been given a finders fee for my contribution!  :pullinghair:
Second guy sent an inspector, the inspector told me his client really was into original sheet metal cars.  He didn't end up buying it, but I don't know if the inspector saw something he didn't like or if there was some other reason the collector decided he wasn't interested.
Other than that, I just get a email from time to time from somebody overseas (probably Nigeria) who asks how the tires are and wants me to ship it to UK.  :haha: Then an occasional tire kicker or picture collector.
I listed it on ebay a few years ago and got contacted by 2 people, one who had a same color car and wanted to compare notes, and then some goof who messaged me in the last few minutes and said "I'll give you 50K!"
Ebay has turned into a joke, I have a lot of stuff I'd like to sell that I wish I'd listed on ebay 10 or 15 years ago before that site got ruined.
I don't know if Bring a Trailer or Hemmings are good places to sell, those are places I've considered listing?
In talking to friends, it sounds like I'm not the only one finding that selling cars these days is really difficult now days compared to how it used to be, real buyers seem rare and otherwise it's all scammers, dreamers and other assorted flakes who respond to ads.

Crocha617

Facebook has several large mopar sites and gets alot of attention these days. Even putting stuff on facebook market place I sell a ton of parts locally very quickly. I would at least list it on the Face book E-bodies site.

JH27N0B

I've stayed off Facebook.  Is there a way to register without giving your name or any other personal information for Zuckerberg to sell to the anyone and everyone?  It already creeps me out the way I look up something on Google, and for weeks the ads on sites I look at are for items related to that search.  :unbelievable:

anlauto

Quote from: JH27N0B on May 13, 2021, 01:56:14 PM
I've stayed off Facebook.  Is there a way to register without giving your name or any other personal information for Zuckerberg to sell to the anyone and everyone?  It already creeps me out the way I look up something on Google, and for weeks the ads on sites I look at are for items related to that search.  :unbelievable:

Maybe ask an existing Facebook member to list it for you with your contact info ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1972V21Cuda

There's a huge upside for sellers right now. Unless your price is too high, you should be able to sell it fast in this market.

70 Top Banana

I have also stayed off of Facebook. Unless something has changed, if you read the small print, everything you put on Facebook belongs to them and they can do what they want. That being said, my son volunteered to put a car on Facebook Marketplace and it has worked out ok. I sold a car and bought a car and it worked out fine.

JH27N0B

A friend of mine listed a set of 90s era Ram 1500 Sport wheels on Facebook for me over a week ago and was surprised I haven't got any response yet.
I listed my '09 B5 Challenger R/T on Moparts and no response yet on it either.  If it were to sell, that would free up a space in my garage for the '71 and I could take it off the market.
I'm getting convinced at this point I can't sell anything.  I could be trying to sell a life raft at a lake full of drowning men and even they'd ignore me.  :headbang:

RUNCHARGER

I've noticed things seem to have quit selling over the last month or two. I flip a few table saws and such on FB and the market has dried up lately. I am also looking for a fairly new Ram 3500 for my son and they were selling as fast as they were listed a few months ago but now they are staying on lots or in the sellers yard. It's like a switch has been thrown, same with Real estate, houses near me were selling immediatley at over ask a few months ago but anything listed now seems to be stalled.
Sheldon

dhh

Quote from: 70 Top Banana on June 18, 2021, 09:54:36 AM
I have also stayed off of Facebook. Unless something has changed, if you read the small print, everything you put on Facebook belongs to them and they can do what they want. That being said, my son volunteered to put a car on Facebook Marketplace and it has worked out ok. I sold a car and bought a car and it worked out fine.

If you post an ad for selling something on FB it doesn't become Facebook's property  :pokeeye:

I've found facebook to be a good spot for finding private sellers. Lots of people don't know about listing cars on forums and don't want to pay ebay fees so they use what they know.

ragtopdodge

DO you have a buildsheet?

#s matching transmission?

You need to take a ton of pictures and have the car on a lift.  Can't expect someone to plunk down that kinda coin across the country w/o a ton of pictures of every nook and cranny.

Going to be awhile to find someone who likes:  '71s, that color.

Attend all the car shows around you w/a For Sale sign on it.

Good luck!

1972V21Cuda

If you lower the price, that will open up your market quickly.

anlauto

:rofl: :rofl: yea that usually works....drop your price to 1985 prices... :yes:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

cuda hunter

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

1972V21Cuda

Quote from: anlauto on June 21, 2021, 05:17:57 AM
:rofl: :rofl: yea that usually works....drop your price to 1985 prices... :yes:

Let's say year 2000 pricing.. :banana:

JH27N0B

Actually with the absurd amount of money printing going on in Washington, inflation is rearing its ugly head.  Those fools can print money until we find we need a billion dollar bill to buy a loaf of bread at the store, but those reckless policies don't inflate the numbers of cars or houses or any other thing available to buy on the market.
So hard assets are not a bad place to put money in this environment. Spending 80 grand on a vintage car now might seem pretty smart in a year or two when the prices have jumped 50%.
Of course, that $120 large might only be worth 50K in real terms then, but better than keeping 80 grand in the bank and a couple years from now it's buying power is only 35 grand adjusted for inflation.
I was a teen working at a grocery store in the late 70s/early 80s and remember what 10+% annual inflation rates look like.  I still remember the dirty looks customers gave me while I was out in the aisles changing prices on items on the shelf constantly!
So if you've been on the fence about buying something big, it might be too late if you have noticed how much a lot of things have jumped, but maybe not too late to grab an E body!
If I'm still trying to sell it in 2022, the price will be $100,000!  :P