Main Menu

Want to buy: 1970 Challenger 4-speed

Started by Bad Bird, October 18, 2021, 03:58:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Bad Bird

I will preface this message with the fact that I understand that finding the right car is likely to be a long process, and that I'm okay with that.

As I mentioned in my posts in New Member Introductions, I am an Aussie guy looking to fulfil a 20-year dream of owning a 1970 Challenger (preferably an R/T). Purchasing in Australia is unlikely, due to the very small pool of cars available (heck, I've only ever seen one 1970 Challenger in person in my entire life). Importing has its own concerns (namely taxes, bad exchange rates, duties, more taxes),  but I've successfully navigated this process once before when importing a 1969 big block 4-speed Corvette to work on with my father.

At the moment my budget is up to $53,000 USD (plus the money required to handle import costs, which could be up to 25% of that cost again). From my post in General Discussions it sounds like this budget should be able to get me into a not numbers matching driver-quality 1970 R/T 383 4-speed that is not necessarily in a desirable color combination.

I intend to keep this thread running until I make this dream come true, however long that takes. If anyone either has or comes across something that sounds like it fits the bill, I would really appreciate it if you were to post it here! Thanks again for the warm welcome to this forum.

Finally, a gratuitous picture.

71383bee

First of all welcome to the site!

Your budget as mentioned is a bit on the lighter side for the quality of ride. It being a 70 4 speed r/t is your main challenge...pun intended! 

Color is also a huge driver.  Most of the high impacts except EL5 tend to drive a high price. 

Are you willing to shift some of these requirements?  For example there are some really decent SE package cars that may be an auto that are really nice deals. Also in decent A66 territory there with your price.  From a personal perspective I have a 340 4 speed and love it! 

Year is the last thing to consider. Your budget can get you a very decent 72-74 rallye package 340/360 car.  Just food for thought.

Be persistent. I would suggest an extended trip to the states to do some car hunting.  It's best to see it in person. In place of that there are plenty of people on this board who would be willing to check a car out of you ask. My self included.

Be wary of the dealers. If it's consignment it may be a solid car but they place a 6% or more markup on the owner.  Several also turn over some pretty rough cars that look pretty in the photos and video.   Bottom line it needs to be looked at.

I've had decent luck on Craigslist and Facebook to be honest. So try those out. Craigslist not so much anymore but there are others out there.

Either way best of luck to you and I hope your dream car will be found.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Bad Bird

QuoteYour budget as mentioned is a bit on the lighter side for the quality of ride. It being a 70 4 speed r/t is your main challenge...pun intended!

Color is also a huge driver.  Most of the high impacts except EL5 tend to drive a high price.

I actually really like EL5, but maybe I'm just weird. I know that my budget is not even close for say a U- or V-code matching numbers car, but do you think potentially it could get me there for a driver-quality N-code that also wasn't numbers matching?

QuoteAre you willing to shift some of these requirements?  For example there are some really decent SE package cars that may be an auto that are really nice deals. Also in decent A66 territory there with your price.  From a personal perspective I have a 340 4 speed and love it!

Year is the last thing to consider. Your budget can get you a very decent 72-74 rallye package 340/360 car.  Just food for thought.

I've had a lot of time to think about what I would and would not compromise on. I'm pretty fixated on the year and it being a 4-speed. I definitely would be more likely to compromise on color and would consider a 318, 383 2-barrel, or an A66 (as long as they were 4-speed cars with rallye dashes). I may also consider R/T clones, if I had to.

QuoteBe persistent. I would suggest an extended trip to the states to do some car hunting.  It's best to see it in person. In place of that there are plenty of people on this board who would be willing to check a car out of you ask. My self included.

Be wary of the dealers. If it's consignment it may be a solid car but they place a 6% or more markup on the owner.  Several also turn over some pretty rough cars that look pretty in the photos and video.   Bottom line it needs to be looked at.

As much as I'd love to do a trip to the states (I've spent about a year in the USA over the last decade and I absolutely love it), COVID has really put a spanner in the works. I still have my broker on speed dial and I have already used their inspection services to look at two cars. One I absolutely love, but the guy (a really good man) would prefer cash in hand (which is a real problem for a foreign buyer). The other was okay, but the car wasn't quite what I wanted.

I really do appreciate the fact that you took the time to write out such a detailed response and I'm sure that through the good people on this forum I'll make the dream happen.

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ledphoot

Quote from: anlauto on October 19, 2021, 07:08:39 AM
Quote from: ledphoot on October 18, 2021, 11:26:32 PM
maybe this one is still available

https://www.forebodiesonly.com/forum/threads/1971-dodge-challenger-rt.24856/

sorry its a 71
It's been sold, the seller is a member here...and it's more then $53K

Sorry looking at my phone late at night I thought it said 52k...

Getting old sucks.

blown motor

I doubt you'll get this one for $53k but have a look. Keep in mind you'll pay in Canadian dollars.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Bad Bird

Thanks for the contributions so far guys. This thread is turning out exactly as I had hoped, namely an ongoing conversation that should eventually make a real purchase happen.

I realise that there is something that I didn't mention in the original post - I am looking at hardtops rather than convertibles. Nothing wrong with 'verts, but they just aren't really my thing. The pro is, I guess, the fact that hardtops tend to be the cheaper option...

Bad Bird

That car sure is an interesting one. Is the roof bedliner rather vinyl? Still, you get a lot of fun for the price with that one...