Main Menu

1970 2 piece rotor minimum thickness

Started by 1970 cuda Joe, March 21, 2024, 05:04:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

1970 cuda Joe

I've been looking around here & the internet trying to find the minimum rotor thickness for the 1970 2 piece rotors. Mine are real pitted so I can't make out anything on them. I think the minimum thickness is .940. Does anybody know for sure? Thank you, Joe
1970 cuda 440-6, 4 speed NOM. Moulin Rouge

MoparLeo

It is either cast into the rotor or stamped alo There are 2 different numbers that you need to know.
The minimum thickness and the machine to thickness. Also rotors should be replaced in pairs.
The information is in the Factory Service Manual..
Original 1.0 - 1.10   min .980 . .0025 run out nd 15-80 micro finish. ! peice rotors may be available for less money and if original, should just be replaced. Brakes should always be best condition and best quality. Safety items should never be budget items.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

1970 cuda Joe

Quote from: MoparLeo on March 21, 2024, 05:19:41 PMIt is either cast into the rotor or stamped alo There are 2 different numbers that you need to know.
The minimum thickness and the machine to thickness. Also rotors should be replaced in pairs.
The information is in the Factory Service Manual..
Original 1.0 - 1.10   min .980 . .0025 run out nd 15-80 micro finish. ! peice rotors may be available for less money and if original, should just be replaced. Brakes should always be best condition and best quality. Safety items should never be budget items.

Thank you. I always say, if nothing else works....the brakes must....Joe

tman

mk

Here's a pic of a 2 piece rotor from a TA Challenger with the minimum thickness :

1970 cuda Joe

Quote from: mk on March 22, 2024, 09:38:00 AMHere's a pic of a 2 piece rotor from a TA Challenger with the minimum thickness :

Looks like it says .940. Is that correct? Thank you, Joe

mk

1970 cuda Joe

Thanks everybody for the information. Mine just barely made the spec with some room to spare....Joe

MoparLeo

Make sure that both rotors measure close to the same. never want a thick one on one side and a thin one on the other. That is why they should always be replaced in pairs. They transfer braking force into heat and need to be similar. Like putting a new tire on one side of the front and a worn out tire on the other. Under braking they will not have the same braking force. Remeber that the rotors are wearing down as the pads wear down. So a rotor machined ti minimum thickness will be below specs as the pads wear. That is why all modern rotors also have a mchine to spec as well as a mimunum spec.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...