Main Menu

Oil pressure unit and gauge testing

Started by fireguyfire, March 11, 2021, 12:46:11 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I've just fired up my 70 383 after adding a Holley Sniper and doing a bunch of work on the car; I'm reading zero for oil pressure on my gauge that I'm pretty sure was working fine last fall.
Obviously I don't want to run the engine and do my break in drive on the Sniper until I know I have good oil pressure, and it's just a sending unit or wire issue.

Is there a way to tell that I have good oil pressure in the engine without using the gauge?
Is there a simple way to determine if the issue is the single wire lead, oil pressure sending unit, or the gauge itself with the gauge cluster in the car?

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

fireguyfire

Turns out the wire was cooked and brittle and once I replaced that it's working fine.

Skdmark

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

70 Top Banana

Dakota

Glad you got it fixed.  That must've been really uncomfortable seeing the motor run with no indicated oil pressure. 

I am using the after-market analog oil pressure gauge that a prior owner installed, but upgraded from the copper tube that connected it to the engine to a braided stainless steel line that was suggested by member 1 Wild R/T.   I just trust this more.