Main Menu

Question about the 71 Challenger

Started by MatchlessIndian, February 17, 2020, 09:54:14 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MatchlessIndian

My car has a pretty large list of options on it and it is an R/T but the original buyer chose to have the A93 bucket seats which I am not really that into. I plan on changing those out to the R/T style buckets here soon but I'm not sure what will need to purchased (no other vintage Challengers in my area). I know I'll need the foam, the vinyl, but what about the spring frames do I need to replace those too? As this will be my first resto I am pretty clueless and I hoping to do my best on keeping expenses from ballooning out-- family to feed and all that. Lol.

Okay and lastly, did the Ebody cars only have lap belts for the rear seat? Or was there an option?     

6bblgt

the coupe (A93) bucket seats were NOT an OPTION for the Challenger R/T, got pics?  Fender tag?
seat tracks are different,
but seat frames/springs are the same for A, B & E-bodies
mid-year 1971 the bucket seat hinge side cover & button design changed

yes, front & rear seat belts were STANDARD

6bblgt

here's a 1971 L6B5 Challenger coupe interior
both the Barracuda coupe & Challenger coupe shared this same interior style - it was the same design as the STANDARD Barracuda hardtop interior with a "lesser" quality vinyl.

MatchlessIndian

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 17, 2020, 11:11:48 PM
the coupe (A93) bucket seats were NOT an OPTION for the Challenger R/T, got pics?  Fender tag?
seat tracks are different,
but seat frames/springs are the same for A, B & E-bodies
mid-year 1971 the bucket seat hinge side cover & button design changed

yes, front & rear seat belts were STANDARD

here's a 1971 L6B5 Challenger coupe interior
both the Barracuda coupe & Challenger coupe shared this same interior style - it was the same design as the STANDARD Barracuda hardtop interior with a "lesser" quality vinyl.

Unfortunately I don't have the car hear at my house-- I am buying it back from my father-in-law and it's still stowed at his house for the moment until I can rearrange my motorcycles and garage setup to accommodate. I sold him the car almost 9 years ago and most of the pics I made when I originally had it are gone. I'll go over and take some new ones though. All the numbers are matching (door, dash, engine, transmission, etc and it only had one other owner besides my father in-law and myself and unfortunately I found out he is no longer with us. I decoded it a long time ago (early 2000s) and I know it is a R/T but I can't remember what the trim package was off the top of my head. The guy I bought it from told me in the 90s he had it repainted and he had the interior fixed up--- if the spring frames are the same then maybe they just reupholstered it non-stock. The only pics I have that you can barely even see the seats are these I included. I'll go get some better pics of it all tonight and hopefully you guys can help me. On the seat belts I was just curious if they made shoulder straps for the backseat as an option. Since I have a kids it would be nice to have some in the rear other than just the lap belts. Anway, thanks so much for your input!

anlauto

What was the car's original colour ? Looks good in pink  :bigthumb:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MatchlessIndian

Thanks! Originally it was Gunmetal Grey.

MatchlessIndian

Ok my father-in-law seriously has let it collect dust and debris for the last 10 years! Definitely needing interior totally redone.

anlauto

Those ARE NOT factory seat covers. Someone has had custom covers made for it at one time. You should be able to get the correct covers and foams put on to the existing frames no problem. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MatchlessIndian

6bblgt

the seat frames you have are from a 1970 or EARLY-'71 MOPAR (the foam may be correct ??)

here is EARLY VS LATE 1971 Challenger H6X9

your car is "LATE" in the model year - assembled in June 1971

6bblgt

there were OPTIONAL rear seat shoulder belts, but they are rare
@GoodysGotaCuda added some additional belts to his 'cuda, search for his build thread or maybe he can add here what he did  :banana:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 6bblgt on February 18, 2020, 12:47:04 PM
there were OPTIONAL rear seat shoulder belts, but they are rare
@GoodysGotaCuda added some additional belts to his 'cuda, search for his build thread or maybe he can add here what he did  :banana:

Hey Dan, actually I just have factory belts throughout my car. My only addition is the top anchor for kids car seats in the package tray.

I need to upgrade the front to 3-points.  :bricks:
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs