Main Menu

1970 Challenger Fuel Tube Installation

Started by RSI700VIPER, December 24, 2020, 06:17:08 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RSI700VIPER

So my stock challenger fuel tube and trunk floor gasket were looking a bit weathered and patina so I decided to replace both.  Couple hour job right?  WRONG!!!!  At least for me.  I bought a new tube and trunk seal from Classis Industries.  I also bought a new tank to tube O-ring for good measure.  I read other posts for some guidance and started the project.  First, the factory tube was a bear to get out, even after loosening the tank straps and spraying with WD-40.  I then installed the new O-ring and tried FOR HOURS to get the reproduction filler tube back into the tank.   Not going.  The angle is all wrong.  I even removed the tank straps and angled the tank to the best possible orientation and still was unable to get it in.  I ended up damaging the O-ring, then reinstalled the old factory O-ring and damaged it too.  I'm now thinking the repop filler tube is not bent correctly.  Does anyone have a link to an article that could be helpful?  Advise?   

1 Wild R/T

Drop the tank first...Don't even waste your time fighting it... :alan2cents:

anlauto

Agreed, how do you even get it out with the tank in ? :thinking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RSI700VIPER

Thanks but the tube is out.  I'm trying to get it back in.  Also, how is removing the tank going to help?  The tank is essentially removed anyway, just supported by a block a wood and a jack.  The straps are off.       

JonH

Put the tube in the car loose, not bolted to the fender. As you raise the tank into place, feed the tube into the tank. Use silicone on the rubber seal and tube to help it slide in. Once the tube is in, raise the tank into position. Once the tank is secured then you can screw the floor seal down, and the tube to the fender.

7212Mopar

JonH's way is the correct way to install. Two persons will make it easier with lots of Vaseline. The gasket can be torn easily so have a spare ready. Hope you can reuse your factory fuel sender. The reproduction won't work right.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

RSI700VIPER

Here is my tank supported by a few threads on one strap.  Despite my best efforts (hours), there is no way the fill tube was going in.  Guess I'll need another set of hands and drop the tank completely out as John mentioned.  Funny that the service manual says you can install the tube without loosening or removing the tank.     

70vert

compare your OE tube to the new one, certainly could be a bad bend or even just sent you the wrong one.
install will definitely be easier as a 2-person job.

Skdmark

Quote from: JonH on December 24, 2020, 08:36:44 PM
Put the tube in the car loose, not bolted to the fender. As you raise the tank into place, feed the tube into the tank. Use silicone on the rubber seal and tube to help it slide in. Once the tube is in, raise the tank into position. Once the tank is secured then you can screw the floor seal down, and the tube to the fender.

:iagree:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

tparker

So what is the actual problem the angle or the size? I just put mine back together recently. You will probably have to remove the tank as others mentioned. I used a fair amount of soapy water, not enough to collect in the tank but enough to keep the rubber lubricated. You mentioned something about the new one being wrong angle? Isn't your's straight? My car is put away, but most of the pipe is straight. The lip is angled and that just needs to be turned to get it aligned. Hopefully that isn't a problem. Worse case, I would sand the old pipe and then coat it and it would be good as new. :)

MoparLeo

Probably an obvious question. Did you compare the new parts with the old parts to make sure they were the same ?. And the service manual was written when the cars and parts were new and pliable, rust free., not 50 years old.
Always pre-fit/assemble items before final install. Regardless of what the part is.
As mentioned before, use a soapy solution on rubber, never use petroleum products. They are not always compatible with rubber. The soapy solution will evaporate away with no deterioration of the rubber.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...