Main Menu

1970 'cuda molded hood insulation pad

Started by 6bblgt, February 15, 2023, 12:19:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

anyone use one of the "molded" hood insulation pads on the market?  who's did you use and are you happy with the fit?  got pics?

anlauto

I've used a lot of them, both Challenger and Cuda. I believe to only manufacture would be REM  @69BFan Richard may be able to confirm.

They fit good, are a PITA to install with the reproduction metal clips, if you have original clips, try to save them. The pads are brittle and will break easily around the clips...When I put one on my car after Carlisle last Summer, I found "pre-squishing" the pad first in the size of the clip helped, if that makes sense ::)

Here's a 70 Challenger and my Cuda
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

For the 70 Charger I got going, the customer supplied one of those "folded" up ones, he bought it from Vans, I believe it's REM as well  :huh:

The installation went easier, but the "look" is certainly not as defined as the cleaner looking molded pads, although one would say this looks more factory  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

blown motor

I put one on my Challenger and it rubbed on the pie tin and scuffed it up from the motor rocking when I get on it. I cut the hole a little bigger and it still rubbed. The old beat up soft one that I replaced didn't do that.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

RUNCHARGER

Those look great, sorry but I couldn't have one of the unformed ones on a car I owned. I remember getting the molded ones in for GM cars and they're pretty fragile. A person would want either a second pair of hands or a method of supporting them when mounting to the hood if the car is assembled.
Sheldon

6bblgt

@anlauto is that a 440 or 383?  any issues with it rubbing or leaving marks on the pie tin?

anlauto

Green car pictured above is a 440 car, this one is a 383, both have aluminum intakes and Edelbrock carbs....never any issues of them rubbing, I can't say the same for the folded up kind....the white Charger pictured has a Gen III Hemi :dunno:

71GranCoupe

Hi Dan,

I picked one up about 3 years ago from one of the big venders at the Spring Fling. Don't remember the price, but sure by now everything has almost double. The one I bought was a perfect fit and was identical to the weathered oem one I took off. I think it came with plastic clips, but I cleaned up the original metal ones and would have no problem getting one again. Not 100% sure, but think it was Southwest Restorations out of Arizona, maybe surprise AZ or one of the others around the Phoenix area. It has been 2 years since I have been the any of the Flings in CA, but the vender is always there and almost right inside the entry area. They always have had the big white tent with tons of MOPAR parts/reproductions. I also picked up a couple sets of heater hoses too. Hope this helps.

69BFan

There is to my knowledge only two different manufacturers of the molded hood pads.  That would be Repops and REM.  Both Repops and REM basically offers much of the same product line as in firewall insulation, kick panel insulation, sound deadners, etc.  Both Repops and REM basically operate as a manufacturer using a network of vendors to carry and promote their product line.  Both of them do have a quasi store front operating under a different name in which they retail as well, but thankfully they do not substantially undercut the network of vendors.

I have very little knowledge of the Repops product line as to fit and finish.  From what I have seen, it is comparable to the REM quality.  We have stuck with REM due to the fact that they have a wider product range and they have done some custom work for us and is receptive to suggestions or issues that we bring forth.

As for the molded hood pads, I feel that they look much more correct than the die cut fiberglass pieces that are cut to match the outer profile of the pad.  Thankfully, for the Mopars, you are no longer stuck with using the yellow fiberglass style material that was only available for years.  It was basically the same material as used for the firewall or kick panel insulation.

Now you can purchase either a half inch thick black fiberglass die cut pad or the molded variety.  We do not sell the generic die cut piece as they were never offered in that fashion from the factory.  For the people who are wanting to duplicate the factory look, the molded style is the only way to go.  It will not please the OE purist, but I have only seen one NOS molded hood pad in my 40 plus years of looking for NOS parts.  The molded pads would be more correct if the "fuzzy" side was on the visible side in my opinion.  I have not measured one, but the reproduction pads are not quite as thick as the OEM pads.  I cannot see them being an issue of rubbing the air cleaner unless the air cleaner was sitting slightly taller than the factory setting.  But you never know. 

My largest concern is that they are so fragile.  I can no longer put them out on display at the shows.  People will reach out and grab them and then crush the edges, especially around the mounting holes.  Once you get them installed, there is no problem.  I always use three people.  One each side at the fenders holding it in place and the third person installing the fasteners/clips.  There has been at least five different manufacturers of the metal style clips and they all have issues.  Search out good used ones if that is possible.  Several guys have done as Alan and have "softened" the area in which the clips are placed. 

We do sell a good number of the molded pads and most everyone that has bought them like the appearance and fit.  The molded pads are approximately four times more expensive than the die cut loose material pads.  Secondly, the molded pads require a large flat box in which to ship them vs the die cut piece which can be rolled up like a towel and crammed into a box with no threat of it being crushed or bent beyond use.  So shipping gets expensive for the molded pads and that is why we sell so many of them at the shows that we attend.

Hope that this information will help.
Richard
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

anlauto

Again Richard, thank you for your input, the information is always priceless coming from an industry insider such as yourself :worship: :drinkingbud:

6bblgt

:twothumbsup:  @anlauto   do you have a part number for the pad on the green Challenger?

anlauto

Part number ? Heck I don't even remember who I bought it from... :haha: :haha:  Again Richard can help you out I'm sure @69BFan

69BFan

The REM Inventory ID numbers that they use are as follow:

CLR-MHI-005   70/74 Challenger Hood Insulation Molded

CUD-MHI-010   70/74 Cuda Hood Insulation Molded

CLR-HIN-005   70/74 Challenger Hood Insulation ½"

CUD-HIN-020   70/74 Cuda Hood Insulation ½"

So you would have to ask your preferred vendor their part number in relationship to what is posted above if they are stocking the REM product line.  Some vendors are very secretive in giving out their suppliers making you think that it is their own product line going to the extent to repackage the product with their own wrapping and labels.  Hope that this helps.

Richard
www.restorationpartsandmaterials.com  Mopar weatherstripping is our specialty, but we offer a wide assortment of restoration products.

6bblgt

thanks, UNDERSTOOD!  that's why I asked, numerous part numbers - some listings show same part for 'cuda Challenger & Charger  :looney:

JH27N0B

There was someone here or on Moparts maybe it was last year having a melt down because the currently available pads aren't molded in the identical way the originals were.  I put an REM on my car a few years ago to replace the deteriorating fiberglas one that was on the car, and the new one is a 1000% improvement!
What do the OEM ones even look like, I don't recall ever seeing one.