Main Menu

1970 EXTRA HEAVY DUTY rear leaf springs 3400024 RH & 3400034 LH

Started by 6bblgt, December 05, 2019, 12:19:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

6bblgt

anyone have detailed dimensions of a dissected pair of 3400024 VS 3400034 E-body leaf springs?
these were STANDARD on all 1970 440HP, 440+6 & HEMI E-bodies & included on all 340 (non-AAR T/A) & 383 cars with the OPTIONAL A31 (3.91) or A36 (3.55) axle packages.

how would you build a "clone" set?  what are people doing to build a pair using the reproduction bottom part numbered leaves that @TONY sells?

I had a loose pair of the 024/034 springs, but these are the only pics I have, are these correct with the RH 3400024 1/2 leaf pointing forward & the LH 3400034 1/2 leaf pointing rearward?  :dunno:

cudaize

I would give Eaton Detroit spring a call.  They have an extensive set of blueprints and dimensions for the factory springs.  If you send them your lower leaves they will build the spring using those.  Since the lower leaves for mine are not being reproduced and I had a very nice set of originals I chose to retain them in my possession and change them out my self.  I don't remember the price for sure but it was obviously more than buying a standard set from say ESPO but I thought reasonable considering they are custom building a set of springs for you.  I'm some what a freak when it comes to the details so below are the items of note I saw that were different from my originals.

1. The narrow clamps that hold the leaves together at the ends had round holes instead of square.  I had the correct clamps and changed these out.

2. The pin on the center bolt was different shape from the original.  As long as it went into the hole on the rear axle housing this would not have been a problem or even seen.  I had NOS center bolts that I used when I changed out the lower leafs for my originals.

3. It appeared to me that the holes in the ends of the spring leaves were too large and the tip liners floated instead of snapped in.  I've since had discussions with a gentleman that bought springs from Eaton for my same application, 71 Cuda 340 convertible, and it's possible that the holes are the right size maybe the liners are just not completely snapped in.

From what I've seen and heard I think Eaton Detroit is about the closest you can get to the OEM look.

Mike Afflerbach

I don't have any real good pictures of the springs themselves but here are some installed in the car.

TONY

Mike is exactly correct in what to do to get the most correct leaf springs. Eaton made them for Mopar back in the day. Like Mike mentioned there are a few differences, but theyre going to be the closest.