Main Menu

1971 Challenger 727 to 5 Speed TKX swap - Questions!

Started by DamianC, February 15, 2022, 05:02:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

DamianC

Hi guys.

I have a 1971 Challenger running a 440 and 727. Console car.

I am close to pulling the trigger on a TKX 5 Speed complete conversion 'KIT', but have a question regarding the transmission tunnel hump that I can't seem to get a simple answer to - or at least one that I can understand. I wonder if anyone can clarify for me?

It is my understanding (admittedly maybe wrong) that the TKX 5 Spd does not require any modification to the tunnel IE the addition of a hump, and comes with the correct cross member for direct bolt in replacement. Also, that with the TKX the shifter will be in the same place as the auto stick?

I have been corresponding with the company and maybe it's me, but it's as clear as mud right now. I have quoted my emails back and fourth so far, as that's probably the best way to explain.

My first email after receiving the quote  .....

Hi XXXXXXX,

5 speed is the route I am looking to take.
A couple of questions if you don't mind.
Floor hump is included in the quote. Is it necessary on an Auto '71 Challenger when converting to the 5 Speed TKX? I am seeing conflicting information online on this important point. If so that will mean different carpet I assume. Could you please clarify for me.
What shipping costs to the below address in USA?   

Damian XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXX
XXXX
XXXXXX
XXXXXX

And finally, what lead time do you anticipate before shipping if I place the order?
That's all that comes to mind right now.
Thanks very much.
Have a great weekend.
Damian.

Response ....

Yes the 4 speed hump is necessary if you wan the car to look like it came from factory with a 4 spd  and if you don't want to modify the torsion bar brace.

My email ....

Hi XXXXXXX.

Sorry but I'm confused now.

Let's put it like this.

I don't care about the interior looking like it came with a 4 speed, my only concern is that the manual shifter is in the same spot in the console that the auto slap stick is right now. The interior is all brand new less than a year old, and I don't want to start altering it unless absolutely necessary. This is doable right?

Can you explain why if I don't put the hump in, I have to change the torsion bar brace please?

Also, again, what are the shipping costs to the address supplied, and lead times?

Thanks.

Damian.

Response ....

So the console for a Auto and manual in this car utilizes the same console difference is the shifter top   I can sell you a standard transmission but If I don't modify it. It will get in the way of the torsion bar brace and you would have to cut it to install he transmission and get your drive line angles in check.    This is what they did when they installed 4 speed.

I have attached the pics of the Modified version for your Ebody and a stock until like fore the Abody.  You can see the difference. 

End of quotes.

I don't want to waste anyone's time with stupid questions, and I really just want to make sure. What does the above mean to the gurus on here?

Thanks.

anlauto

Well....For starters, I've installed a few TKO's in the past and I have a TKX here right now waiting to go in.
The confusion is on your part I think...so I'll try and start with the basics....

The TKX 5 speed is a direct bolt in to a FACTORY MANUAL car and NOT an automatic car.

ALL E BODIES:

Both automatic and standard transmission cars use the same console. Only the top plate is different. The auto shifter and pistol grip shifter end up in roughly the same position, but not identical from the factory.

From the factory, manual cars have an additional floor hump to allow clearance for the side mounted shifter and the shifter rods. The shifter is slightly off center in regards to the transmission tunnel.

This factory four speed floor hump is 100% necessary to install the Tremec TKX 5 speed. Silver Sport Transmissions (who I hope you're dealing with) has fabricated a mounting bracket for the TKX transmission so that a pistol grip shifter will end up in the FACTORY 4 speed location. You can then modify your automatic console by trimming the bottom and purchasing a new four speed console top plate.

The new TKX transmission/shifter WILL NOT fit into an original automatic car WITHOUT converting the floor pan to a factory 4 speed set-up.

The sales person is telling you that a factory style floor hump is included in the kit....It requires cutting two large holes in the floor and being welded or bonded in place.

Slight confusion may be coming in if your research is getting confused with the TKO transmission, which requires the factory four speed hump AS WELL as an ADDITIONAL hump on the passenger side. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

anlauto

Picture ONE is what your stock 1971 Challenger AUTOMATIC floor looks like...
Picture TWO is the holes you NEED top cut to install a TKX 5 speed
Picture THREE is the factory four speed hump welded in place...
Picture FOUR & FIVE are of the modifications needed ONLY FOR A TKO transmission NOT NEEDED FOR A TKX
Picture SIX is of the factory four speed console mounting bracket you will also need to add if using a console
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

As far as your new interior components, You would need a four speed console top plate, and to do a nice job, you would need new four speed carpeting in my opinion, but that's it.

anlauto

Depending where in Southern Ontario you are, your always welcome to stop by a shoot the poop  :handshake:

DamianC

WOW!!!!  :ohyeah: Thanks very much anlauto!! That was exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for putting those responses together. I now know where I stand. I'm in Ennismore just north of Peterborough, so yeah, I owe you a beer my friend! And yes it's SST. If you're ever up in the Kawarthas for a cruise, there's a cold one (or several) with your name on them waiting in the garage beer fridge!

Fern

Just wondering if you got the TKX and how it fit in the new tunnel?

RUNCHARGER

I too am curious if anyone has installed one of these and beat on it. My kid wants to put one behind a Hellcat in his 68 Charger and the torque rating is a bit low for that but they do fit nice. He's just waiting on delivery of the engine right now then will order the trans when he has hands on the engine.
Sheldon