Main Menu

1971 Challenger Elastomeric Front and Rear Bumpers

Started by Chryco, August 04, 2019, 10:31:19 AM

Previous topic Next topic

How many people would like to see bumpers on the market?

Just the front
1 (4.3%)
Front and Rear
22 (95.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: October 03, 2019, 10:31:19 AM

Fastmark

My son may want some for his car. I think they look good on a curios yellow RT car. He needs to see a picture before he commits though. His car is a long way from bumpers though. With cost of a good chrome job, you can almost buy rubber bumpers.

MONC

Guessing the repros never got off the ground huh?
Anyone have a set for sale?

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco

fronts mold are completed. just waiting for them to be delivered to start production. No dates as of yet
Tommy The Chryco
Cuda Rubber Bumpers and The Better "Shaker Kits"
1-866-893-2547

YYZ

Quote from: Fastmark on September 26, 2019, 02:39:32 AM
My son may want some for his car. I think they look good on a curios yellow RT car. He needs to see a picture before he commits though. His car is a long way from bumpers though. With cost of a good chrome job, you can almost buy rubber bumpers.

They are a must on a curious yellow car

MONC

Cool thanks for the update!
Looks great on that GY3 car.
My car is coded with both front and rear rubber bumpers and also wide chrome moulding on broadcast sheet.
From what I understand both not available, but not what was on the car originally.

70chryco71

Hello from Saskatchewan. I just joined the forum.
I have a set of original 71 Challenger elastomeric bumpers that I purchased about 20 years ago and never did get the car to put them on, so I would like to sell them. Currently trying to determine what they are worth. They are in decent shape with some minor repairs required; not bent and all studs good. Original plum crazy but were painted black at some point. Seller at the time said they were from a six pack R/T in Kentucky, but no way to confirm now. I look forward to your comments. Thanks.
Garth

Floyd

Very cool, and very rare.  You may want to post in the WIW section to get more views.  I can't comment with any expertise but if they're nice I'd think they're probably in the 3-4K range for the pair.  The more common cuda RBs seem to trade in the $1000-$1500 each. 

YYZ

@70chryco71 did you buy those bumpers from a guy in Ontario?

They look familiar.

anlauto

How do you confirm if they are original or old Gene Gregory reproductions ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

70chryco71

Thank you for the comments. I purchased these from a guy in Louisville, KY. Definitely original bumpers - they were showing their 30 years of use when I bought them. Stored in my heated shop since then. Here are more pics to provide some detail of the condition. Rear is very nice but the front has a few wounds in the urethane.

anlauto

I wasn't trying to question what they are, I was just trying to learn the difference, did originals have any signs of part numbers or pentastars ? @mccannix  what can you tell us ?

mccannix

I have never seen any stamped numbers or pentastar on any that I have seen or owned but then I have not seen them all.
Ones that weren't messed with too much usually had dates on them on the back side like these Cuda ones.
Ol Gene's bumpers were not quite as detailed on the back side at least in the end areas, as seen on these factory Challenger ones I have.
Gene's were pretty nice though and I'm sure Tommy's will be super nice.

YYZ

Cool.  I asked about the origin as I had sold a matched pair of originals back in 2001-2002 that had been touched up by my bumper guru (RIP Karl K) and the fronts were in a similar black, with bits of the original plum crazy visible on the back.

70chryco71

More great information, thank you. Sorry, I did not mean to be defensive; I also would like to know the difference between originals and reproductions. I should have said that as far as I can tell these are originals rather than definitely. Here is a photo of the end detail for the front bumper. I will look closer at the inside to see if there is any remnant of a date written on either one. Thanks again for all the help.