Main Menu

1971 Challenger R/T 340 Color Opinions

Started by challengersteve, August 15, 2021, 03:04:56 PM

Previous topic Next topic

challengersteve

Hello Everyone, I picked up a 1971 Challenger R/T 340 4 speed car recently and had a couple questions.
The car is originally a sno white car with no vinyl top, black side stripes, hood r/t decal and black interior.
My issue is the fender tag was lost at a body shop 30+ years ago so no way to 100% document (no build sheet either).
The guy I bought it from owned it on and off since 1978 and he has quite a few pictures of the car back in the day showing exactly how the car looked in original paint.
Of course the car was jacked up on N50's and had side pipes in some of these pictures.
Please keep in mind I bought this car only to restore through our shop and sell. It will be a complete professional rotisserie restoration when finished. Probably more of a really high end driver job, not a date code correct, nos build.
My question, without a fender tag or build sheet, based only on these old pictures, should I paint the car back white or a more bright color like yellow, orange, etc.
I am only basing this question on resale value and ease of selling. This is not a car I am restoring for myself.
Also, nothing drivetrain related is number matching. I have a 71 340 and correct 4 speed but they are not numbers matching to this car.
So basically when finished it will be a non numbers, no tag or sheet but with old pictures and a nice restoration.
Any thoughts?

Skdmark

I would go with a hi-impact color like GY3 with the black stripes.
An uncommon, but stunning combo is TX9 with the orange stripes. Which was available, just seldom seen.

If you are doing a rallye hood on it, then go with just the R/T and not the V21 black out.  :alan2cents:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

challengersteve

I forgot to add that I already have black stripes and a complete black interior.
I really like GY3 and built a 440 six pack shaker clone that looked like the one in your picture in the late 90's.
Yes the car will have the r/t hood with the decal only, not the complete blackout

YYZ

I'm certainly partial to GY3 on '71s, however, if it's for resale than IMHO you'd want something with broader appeal.

My thoughts are either FE5 with white or black interior, or B5 blue with blue or black interior.

The factory Sno white is a nice shade and would look great with the fluorescent orange stripes and a black or houndstooth interior.

Otherwise Hemi Orange on black or white.

RzeroB

IDK ... I think I would keep it simple and just keep it white. Two advantages here ... white has a pretty broad appeal; and less time having to redo all of the visible areas in a new color. With this car's lack of documentation and matching numbers, it's price point is going to be limited no matter how slick it turns out. So why make it harder on yourself?? White looks great with the black interior and black stripes. If you think the exterior is still a little too "white", you could add the V21 hood blackout treatment and maybe a Go-Wing to break it up some more??
Cheers!
Tom

Tis' better to have owned classic Mopars and lost than to have never owned at all (apologies to Alfred Lord Tennyson)

challengersteve

The color will be wont matter from a paint quality perspective as all the cars we do have high quality super straight paint jobs.
I agree white has a somewhat broad appeal but really does not "pop" like hemi orange or yellow.
Rallye Red looks really good on these cars and I actually painted a red 1964 Sport Fury a few weeks ago.
Whatever color I want to make sure it is not too much without a vinyl top to break it up

Burdar

Color is a personal preference.  You'll just be guessing at this point what your eventual buyer wants.  My opinion?  Start advertising the car NOW.  Try to find someone who will finance the project.  Then they can make the color decision for you.  If you haven't started working on the car yet, you have a while before you actually need to pick a color.

Mr Lee

That black with the orange stripes is pretty slick!

I dunno.  I wouldn't have expected this but I can't tell you how many people have seen my F4 green Challenger and the first words out of their mouths are "I LOVE the color!"  It's kind of surprising.  I love green but thought I was an oddball. 

So many cool colors to choose from.  But for resale.... can't go wrong with white, black, red, ...purple.  Gunmetal grey is a nice color also that you don't see often. 
Good stance and tasteful wheels complete the package.  With the right wheels the car could be butt ugly and still cool.  Or with the right color and ugly wheels, be a flop. 
What wheels are you putting on?

In my opinion, the black in the magnums look great with black stripes or accents.   
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

challengersteve

I just me with the previous owner of this 71 R/T and he was able dig out some old pictures of the car.
The pictures with the hood scoop is from 1980 or so and the one without the scoop but with the big slicks is from 1978.
I see it had the side r/t emblems as well as the side stripes? I have seen others like this but I always thought this was wrong.
Since I have all these pictures showing this was was originally white I probably should put it back like that.
What do you guys think?

Matt M

In my opinion if you are doing the car to re-sell do not paint it white (there is no tag) so really no way to confirm the original color.
I would be hard pressed to buy a white muscle car unless it had everything I wanted going for it.
Since its going to be sold you need to appeal to the largest audience you can. A white car will not do that.

challengersteve

I agree white would have a lot less appeal and it will cost the same to go with hemi orange, yellow, red, etc.

anlauto

I absolutely hate to say this out loud....but it seems EVERYBODY wants a purple Challenger  :alan2cents: it would be my last choice, but for resale :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Lee

Personally, I think the white with black looks cool.  It's also neutral.  [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Remember, wherever you go, there you are.

Bullitt-

Nothing says '71 R/T to me more than Gunmetal

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Skdmark

Quote from: Bullitt- on September 04, 2021, 07:55:15 AM
  Nothing says '71 R/T to me more that Gunmetal

It can be one of those colors where it has it's admirers, but they do not necessarily want to own it. In a sea of high impact colors at a show they do stand out.
Even after having my '71 GA4 R/T for 31 years, I've only come across 10 or so others.
I've yet to hear of anyone who did a color change to GA4.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: