Main Menu

1971 Cuda 340 "Blue" painted motor w/ Shaker hood pics needed

Started by 76orangewagon, June 23, 2017, 04:50:22 AM

Previous topic Next topic

76orangewagon

I am looking for any reference photos of a 1971 Cuda 340 with a blue engine and a shaker hood set up. My car is a late (SPD 430) and from all my research should have a Blue painted engine. I tried searching the interwebs but there aren't many photos there so I thought I would see if anyone has some good personal photos I could use for restoration reference other than the ones I have posted.
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Ross 

Cuda Cody

This is not a 340, but an original 71 Cuda with a blue engine.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

ScottSmith_Harms

I have some blue 71 340 engine pics. Ill post later. Its not just the paint color thats unique, many parts are also unique to blue engines due to the production plant change. Also keep in mind that A Body are unique as compared to B&E body, mainly the drivers side exhaust.

76orangewagon

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on June 23, 2017, 08:46:39 AM
I have some blue 71 340 engine pics. Ill post later. Its not just the paint color thats unique, many parts are also unique to blue engines due to the production plant change. Also keep in mind that A Body are unique as compared to B&E body, mainly the drivers side exhaust.

I have read your thread on Moparts:" Warning! Totally Anal Long Winded O.E. 340 Thread!"  there's a lot of great information about the 340 differences and change overs between years, that's where I got the pictures I added, but I just have never seen a Shaker hood 340 Cuda with a Blue Mounds Rd engine. They have to out there I just cant find any reference photos of them. 

ScottSmith_Harms

Not to worry, the engine details of a Shaker car (all Shaker parts aside) on a blue 340 engine are no different than the components on a non Shaker car. Our power is out until tomorrow, I cant access my hard drive storage until then so I'll post them later. Not all of my pics are on that Moparts thread.

(BTW, even though he was ribbing you, I agree with Alan, if you have a late build car, you should also have black wheels)

ScottSmith_Harms

Ok, so first I'll ask you about your cars details.

Do you have the original engine? Are you sure it was originally blue? If original can you post a photo of the engine assembly stamping (face of block just under drivers side deck surface).

76orangewagon

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on June 24, 2017, 07:17:39 PM
Ok, so first I'll ask you about your cars details.

Do you have the original engine? Are you sure it was originally blue? If original can you post a photo of the engine assembly stamping (face of block just under drivers side deck surface).

Scott,
My engine is not original to the car. It is a 1970 block with a set of X heads. I am not sure that the engine was originally Blue, I assume that it was Blue from what I have read regarding the SPD of 430. I am simply looking to cosmetically make the engine look correct and through all my searching have yet to run across any photos of a "Blue" 340 engine with a Shaker assembly.
BTW...How's my carb and Solenoid coming along ?
Ross   

MoparLeo

moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

ScottSmith_Harms

Ok Ross,

Your car is on "the bubble" when it comes to engine color. You will not likely be able to nail down which color the original was untill new information about the engine plant surfaces (which could be never). An April 30th SPD would have LIKELY been a blue engine car but so far that's all I can say, too close to call for sure.  To make matter more confusing, there was a batch of orange engines (Windsor Ontario Canada plant) that was lost or otherwise sidelined that made it's way back into regular production long after the blue engines were used. Example here: A 1971 340 Road Runner with its numbers matching engine. The engine was assembled October 22, 1970 and sat around until late May 1971 before being installed! I've seen 6 cars like this so far, most were A-body cars, but one B-body, and who knows about E-bodies (I haven't seen one yet) so you have to be cautious deciding which way to go when the original engine is MIA

One thing I can say for sure though, the Shaker parts will not be any different on a blue or orange engine, both used the same parts.

*Your carb and solenoid are getting close, I'll keep you posted :)

bentpshrods

My 71 has a pretty close SPD of 421. It has the original motor and it was painted blue.   

ScottSmith_Harms

Ok, here are some photos. I don't have many of blue engines simply because there aren't many around. I don't have any pics of a Shaker car with a blue engine. The biggest problem is that few untouched original engines (of either color) exist to get good references from, it's amazing how many restored engines have had incorrect details and parts changes made. For instance, the blue engine shown below in the orange car is a 71 Cuda, pretty original car, but it has a 1970 style drivers ex manifold. The first pic of the Butterscotch car is another 71 Cuda, nice survivor, mostly original engine, not a total virgin but close.

ScottSmith_Harms

The most obvious parts differences were the passenger side valve covers, the intake manifolds, the coils, and some of the fasteners. Here are some A-body examples. Again, some obvious replacement parts, but a very original engine otherwise.

ScottSmith_Harms

Cuda Cody

The blue engine have really grown on me lately.  Both my 71 Cuda's were early so they had Orange, but I would not have been mad to if they would have been blue.