Main Menu

1971 R/T Challenger hood treatment

Started by GrandpaKevin, November 05, 2020, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

Trying to educate myself on 1971 R/T Challenger hood decals.

One of our Challengers has the R/T only decal and the other has the large blackout with R/T cut out.

First, are both types correct for 1971?

Any way to determine which type is original to the car? is it on the build sheet? Fender tag? Early or late build specific?

Thanks for any info.

Morty426

There is a third option which is no hood decal.  Sorry I don't know how they call them all out on the broadcast sheet.

My 71 R/T is no hood decal

JH27N0B

The blackout option was V21. I think that would appear on the fender tag.
Just the R/T decal was standard, and no decal would be an option but I don't know the code.

CNUMB

Not real sure it states on the build sheets, but I remember either one back in the day was correct... BTW, Those 2 71's are absolutely Beautiful :worship:

JH27N0B

My '71 has the hood blackout but no V21 on its tag (no build sheet).  I'd like to know for sure if that means it's added.

anlauto

In my opinion, there was only one option and as mentioned it was V21 performance hood treatment, that gave you the large blackout treatment in matte black with the R/T cut-out.

If you ordered an R/T and you did not delete the standard stripe package you automatically got the R/T lettering only on the rally hood.

With the shaker hood nothing was available. The shaker hood got the Fratzog emblem.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GrandpaKevin

Thanks guys.

No V21 on either car's fender tag so it's either the R/T decal or none at all.

Morty426

Quote from: JH27N0B on November 05, 2020, 04:25:20 PM
Just the R/T decal was standard, and no decal would be an option but I don't know the code.

I think the code is V68 which should be stripe delete

Skdmark

As others have said:

V21 hood blackout with R/T cut out
V6*  side stripes which would include the R/T hood decal
V68 stripe delete
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane:

autoxcuda

Quote from: Morty426 on November 05, 2020, 06:29:48 PM
Quote from: JH27N0B on November 05, 2020, 04:25:20 PM

I think the code is V68 which should be stripe delete

Doesn't V68 just delete the side stripes?

The brown 71 shaker survivor Julius was selling was V68 but there was still an R/T on the hood.

Isn't the tawny gold survivor like that too?
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

6bblgt

I think all '71 Challenger R/Ts w/o a SHAKER hood should have a "R/T" decal on the hood  (in black or white  :dunno:  what determined the color??)

V21 was the "performance hood treatment", which for a '71 Challenger R/T was the blackout decal with the "R/T" cutout

the GK6 "dark bronze metallic" car had a SHAKER & NO "R/T"  :takealook:

6bblgt

the GY9 "dark gold metallic" & the recent Tucson desert find HEMI R/T both have "BLACK" side stripes & hood decals   :rubeyes:

autoxcuda

Thanks for clarifying.

Don't remember what 71 I was thinking of now.  :thinking:
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

6bblgt

I don't think you could "delete" the hood "R/T", it would be akin to "deleting" the grill "R/T" emblem on a '70, it was the forward facing callout for the "R/T" model

mistakes happen, emblems added/deleted over 50 years, etc.

Skdmark

With V6* the hood decal is the same color as the side stripes (Black, White, Orange etc.)
According to the assembly drawings the 71 R/T hood decal is not used on V21, N96, N94

How would the line know which color decal to use IF it was applied with V68?
This is why I would think with V68 that eliminates the hood decal too.

What's the possibility of having a hood decal with body side moldings?
Hood decal color matches the molding insert?
:notsure:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.
-Harlan Ellison

(O OI====II====IO O)    (O O{]{]{] ][ [}[}[}O O)
:stayinlane: