Main Menu

1973 Cuda 340 header installation

Started by tdwnilla1, June 07, 2024, 06:17:59 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tdwnilla1

Hey everyone, I am in the process of installing my Doug's (D453) headers and Pypes exhaust system on my 73 Cuda and looking for suggestions from anyone who has the same setup. Everything I am reading states that you have to use a mini starter however, the part number they give you does not seem to be available. I really don't want to replace the starter as my current starter is new but if that is what I need to do then I want to make sure I at least get the right one. I am also curious how others have installed them with regards to fitting them between the body and engine. I believe all you have to do is jack up the engine but any suggestions there would be greatly appreciated as well!

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

7212Mopar

Long tube Doug headers likely similar to TTI headers. TTI requires mini starters to clear. You can try with the factory starters. The old Headman headers with one tube wrap around the steering will work with the factory starters. I have done that back in the 80s but that was a horrible header design that you scape the bottom all the time. A mini starters is small and much more powerful than the stock starter.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

tdwnilla1

Quote from: blown motor on June 07, 2024, 06:38:38 AMWhat engine?
sorry,kind of forgot that part. It has a 340 in it.

tdwnilla1

Quote from: Brads70 on June 07, 2024, 01:55:56 PMDakota starter might be a cheaper option?

https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/what-year-dakota-starter-will-work-on-my-318-update-and-new-pic/12635/msg174821#msg174821

Thank you.  I had seen this once before but wasn't really sure which one would work and how. Reading the post you shared I am not sure I want to go that route now as my engine is original to the car (numbers matching drive train) and I really don't want to grind the engine to make a less expensive starter fit.

blown motor

I have TTI headers with a mini starter. Also I removed the oil filter adapter and use a WIX 51085 or Napa 1085 filter.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

moonshine_mike

I am not familiar with Doug headers. But if Doug is similar in shape and size to TTI that I can add info.
I own a 1973 340 Cuda. Ran with Hooker headers for about 10 years but decided to change out for 2.5" TTI headers to avoid the pipe under the steering link. The car still uses the stock, period correct, Chrysler starter without any issue. Also uses the oil filter adaptor and PH2 FRAM oil filters for at least 20 years. The two starter part numbers that I have used in this car over the years are 2875560 and 3656575. I assume that if the starter needs to be serviced, I would have to loosen the headers to extract the starter.

tparker

I have the dougs header and tti exhaust on a 1970 340. The Dougs were a little hard to get installed, harder than the temp Hooker or headman headers that I used to break in the motor. I got a mini starter, doesn't seem that much smaller though, and there was plenty of room. I would have to double check to see how much extra room there might be for a full size starter. The oil filter fits fine without the 90 degree adaptor. It is a tight fit to take it off but doable. The sticker on in melted a bit so I am a bit worried about the heat. The steering lock linkage requires a different piece if you want to use that.

Hood

On my '73 340 with headers I use a
Motorcraft FL-300 oil filter.

I have also used the following oil filters with plenty of clearance:

Wix 51085
Wix 51068
Bosch 3402
AC PF-13

I prefer using the Motorcraft FL-300.

My starter was never an issue. When I installed my headers 45 years ago, I remember I had to separate my steering linkage on the driver's side to slip the header through. 
Original owner with 100% documentation.
Ordered my Cuda on September 29th 1972