Main Menu

2229171 master cylinder

Started by pink aar, June 29, 2017, 08:56:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

pink aar

If anyone is looking for a 2229171 master cylinder I found one. Hold on to your pants. GET READY . ARE YOU READY It's a core NOT rebuilt. 700.00. Is person has a 71 advertised for 86.00
I about fell out  on the floor. :banana:

Cuda Cody

EV2RTSE

The Ram Man has them for $970 (rebuilt). :bricks:
Glad I don't need one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2229171-Mopar-Master-Cylinder-/222083093143?hash=item33b52f1297:g:vjsAAOSwLEtYg9Q1&vxp=mtr

When my brother upgraded the brakes on his 70 R/T from power drum to power disk, and we found what the going rate is on the 171, we just put on a 71-74 master instead and called it 'good enough'.

JH27N0B

You can blame me :-[
Back in the early 2000s I worked for an aftermarket brake company, and I had dug through a lot of our old records researching OEM master cylinders in the course of trying to figure out what exactly was correct for my T/A.  I was spotting a lot of NOS master cylinder for muscle era mopars on eBay inexpensive, and started buying some up.  I bought a half dozen or so 9171s for around $50 each.  No one else would bid on them.  At car shows I'd see guys with T/As and AARs that had aftermarket drum brake masters on their cars, and I'd tell them I had a correct disc brake part at home I'd sell them, and they'd give me this who is this idiot, he doesn't know what he's talking about look. I'd even offer to get them an aftermarket disc MC from my work at my employee discount, to get the drum brake MC off the car, never any takers even for the $20 I could buy them for.
One day I was parked next to a nice B5 Daytona at a show, and the guy said his master cylinder was going bad.  I looked at what he had on his 440 car, and it was wrong, had lines exiting toward the fender not the engine, but I told him I had an NOS correct disc one I'd sell him for $150.  And I knew he had an AAR too, so I said I'd sell him a 9171 for it.  The guy goes ballistic on me! Yelling that Galen Govier documented his car and would have told him if the master was wrong.  Plus said I was ignorant saying lines exited toward the engine, as Chrysler would never do that.
Richard Ehrenberg asked me to write an article on the subject, which appeared in the April 2005 Mopar Action, and after that I never was able to buy another 9171 for a good price.
And then everyone started contacting me looking for one, same guys who thought I was an idiot when I offered to sell them one earlier.  Even the guy with the Daytona!  :haha:
I kept one for my T/A and traded others for some parts for it's resto, including an NOS gas tank.
I was buying and selling some A&B body ones for a while, but in recent years even the supply of them has dried up.
But the good thing is I rarely if ever see a T/A or AAR with a drum brake MC any more, so I guess in a small way I've made the world a better place! :woohoo:

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha: Sometimes it's better not to know I suppose.
Sheldon