Main Menu

3-Speed Wiper Motor Freshly Restored

Started by MoparCarGuy, May 01, 2023, 02:52:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MoparCarGuy

Just received my original 3-Speed Wiper Motor for my 1970 Cuda back from @Ns1aar . The end result is amazing.
My original was rattle-canned black by the second owner of the car. That black paint likely protected the wiper motor from oxidation.
In the interim 23 years since my restoration was completed I had a 1971 date coded wiper motor purchased from Year One. I did not care too much about the date code at the time (2000). Now, my original is restored and going on the car this week. A local buddy is getting the 1971 wiper motor for his Cuda 340.
Here is the original and the result. Many thanks to Bruce Somer of http://www.ns1aar.com/!

MoparLeo

moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

Jay Bee

Nice, but I thought there's suppose to be red Glyptol on top of the oval contact plate. Did you ask not to have it applied?

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: Jay Bee on May 01, 2023, 06:13:15 PM
Nice, but I thought there's suppose to be red Glyptal on top of the oval contact plate. Did you ask not to have it applied?
Nice catch. Here is the story on the red "varnish" Glyptal coating from another wiper restorer (Bill Meerholz).
"The red insulating varnish was applied to most 70 cars, this process was stopped late 1970 year. Most 71 cars did not have the varnish applied. It was re-started for 72 year."
Source: https://www.bmcuda.com/proddetail.php?prod=EXCHANGE-RESTORED/3431077-WIPERMOTORS

My Cuda was built in June 1970 (late 1970 model year) and my original wiper motor did not have the coating on it. Bruce (ns1aar) duplicated my original so no Glyptal.

Jay Bee

Quote from: MoparCarGuy on May 01, 2023, 07:19:18 PM
Here is the story on the red "varnish" Glyptal coating
I did not know that, thank you for the info. I thought there was something off in your "before" picture too. Got to leave it to the pros to know all these little quirps.

EV2RTSE

Here's one Bruce did for me recently with the glyptal. Great work and fast turnaround.

MoparCarGuy

Quote from: EV2RTSE on May 02, 2023, 10:53:25 AM
Here's one Bruce did for me recently with the glyptal. Great work and fast turnaround.
Beautiful, the wiper motor is one of the first things that draws the eye in an engine compartment. And a January date code of 0050 (January 5, 1970).

jimynick

Nice looking work! May I ask the cost of restoring the motor?
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

RJChallenger

I'm curious as well about the cost . Does it have to be a electrically sound core to be restored?

MoparCarGuy

I would contact http://www.ns1aar.com/ and ask Bruce @Ns1aar .
Shipping to Bruce was with UPS on March 13th and was under $20.
Restoration cost was $300 (included return shipping).
Received the restored wiper motor on April 26th.
Turnaround time was 45 days (1 month, 14 days). YMMV

Bruce does test your original or core for operation and serviceability.
I do not know if he had to replace any internals for mine.

MoparLeo

Bruce also has a lifetime warranty on his work. If it ever fails, just return it and it gets fixed.
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...