Main Menu

46RH overdrive fastener info, speedo pinion gear holder

Started by Duodec, October 03, 2022, 10:44:25 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Duodec

My junkyard 46RH came with the overdrive dismounted and none of the seven attaching bolts.  The one reference I found online for size called out 7/16" bolts at 1-3/4" long but those are too large in diameter.  I haven't made it back to storage with my tap sets to see if I can determine the thread, but still would need the expected length(s). 

I could not find the bolt size documented online.  Its also not in the service manuals for Dakota and Ram trucks that used the 46RH (just torque specs).  So far I haven't found online Chrysler parts catalogs for those same vehicles to get the part number (and likely the bolt specs) either.  Its been years since I delved into my 1971 parts catalog but almost certain it provided specifications on the various bolts and nuts.

Can anyone provide the specs or a part number or numbers for these bolts, or a link to a relevant online parts catalog or website with the info?

Also looking for the speedo pinion gear holder.  I don't know the pinion gear number I need yet but the OD came without the holder and I'd like to get it soon.  I did get the clamp and bolt, which I understand are the same for the electronic and cable types.

I see a couple on eBay but they want a lot of money for what should be a plentiful part (except here near chicago apparently, none of the nearby wrecking yards will admit to having one or a compatible car/truck).  Any other sources?  Even if the one in the current 904 will work I'd rather leave that transmission complete and usable and not cannibalize it for parts.

Thanks

Duodec

I took my tap sets to storage.  The bolts are 3/8" 16tpi (coarse).  By appearance of the case and overdrive flanges 1.5 to 1.75" length should be ok though I can't tell what the factory bolt lengths were.  I don't think 1-1/4 would thread all the way through or into the main housing and I'm sure full thread engagement is required.

So for the next poor SOB trying to find this info via google:

46RH Overdrive mounting bolt specifications:  3/8 inch NC (National Coarse), 16 tpi (threads per inch) flanged bolt, estimated length 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 inches, quantity 7 (Seven)

Still no idea on the Chrysler part number

ply64post

I don't know if this will help you , this from the E/Body Fastener Book from Dave Wise.
I tried to turn the bottom picture but for some reason I can't turn it. These are for a
727 smallblock and I would think they would be the same.

Jeff

Duodec

Thanks for posting that; I will keep it though I do have all of those bolts still in place.  The ones I'm looking for are probably the equivalent of the tail shaft housing to transmission main case bolts.  I don't know if the 46RH overdrive to case mounting holes/bolts are the same as a 727 tail shaft housing  (there are 7 bolts for the overdrive and 6 bolts for the 727 housing) but they might be...