Main Menu

70 RTSE

Started by SeventyTX9RTRag, October 24, 2019, 07:33:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

SeventyTX9RTRag

Is the SE option on an RT super desirable or just the opposite? Or just a personal preference. Seems like if a guys wanted a hot fast car back in the day he would probably opt out of the SE given the price increase and the plush vibe of the car? Just curious..

RUNCHARGER

Good question I think. They're sort of cool as they are a bit rare. I don't see the values or desirability higher than just an R/T. However if you are restoring one and want to get it right it costs a lot more and the parts are hard to find. I would own an R/T-SE again but only if it was already restored with everything in place, and I would not give any extra $$$ for it.
Sheldon

headejm

:alan2cents: Two R/T's, same condition, same color, same engine, same transmission, one is a SE the other one is not. The R/T SE is worth more due to rarity. Plus, leather seats are nice and the overhead console is cool.

fc7cuda

Quote from: headejm on October 24, 2019, 11:17:03 PM
:alan2cents: Two R/T's, same condition, same color, same engine, same transmission, one is a SE the other one is not. The R/T SE is worth more due to rarity. Plus, leather seats are nice and the overhead console is cool.

:iagree:  The production numbers are pretty accurate and they tell the story.

JS29

Love the over head console! The one in my gran coup was non-functional when i got the car. It is not easy to do but i did get it all to work with the exception of the low fuel lamp. @Slotts will be getting the relay at some point.  Sheldon is correct about the  :pullinghair: and  :headbang: involved in them.   :alan2cents:                                      Mark. 

headejm

@6bblgt I have a theory that most R/T SE Challengers were dealer ordered to show customers what all the options that were available in 1970. Most R/T SE's are highly optioned. For example, mine has a luggage rack, AC, PS, PB, and an 8-track. Do the numbers support my theory?  :notsure:

Chryco Psycho

The SE was more luxury oriented for sure which attracted a lot less buyers , the real proof is how few 4 spd SEs were built often less than 10%, they had their place but were not very popular & rare is not = to desirable .
My SE is unusual with only 5 options - R/T , SE , Bumble Bee , high impact paint , 4 spd , nothing else

750-h2

Every thing else being equal, when it comes to Mopar muscle, options and production #'s dictate price. :alan2cents:

6bblgt

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 25, 2019, 12:21:33 PM
The SE was more luxury oriented for sure which attracted a lot less buyers , the real proof is how few 4 spd SEs were built often less than 10%, they had their place but were not very popular & rare is not = to desirable .
My SE is unusual with only 5 options - R/T , SE , Bumble Bee , high impact paint , 4 spd , nothing else

R/T SE is a model - JS29
the "bumblebee" stripe is a choice, much like interior and vinyl top color

so, the hi-impact paint & 4-speed would be its only "extra cost" OPTIONS - is that true? NO: radio, power steering, console, etc.  :unbelievable:

Chryco Psycho

True , it was ordered with R/T pkg , SE Pkg , FC7 Paint & 4 spd pistol
No radio , PS , PB ,  console & Single mirror which Never should have been allowed with SE

xx88man

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 25, 2019, 06:18:52 PM
True , it was ordered with R/T pkg , SE Pkg , FC7 Paint & 4 spd pistol
No radio , PS , PB ,  console & Single mirror which Never should have been allowed with SE

Sounds like a one-of-a-kind!   :woohoo:
Keep yer foot in it

JS29

I never got that mirror thing, duel mirrors should have been mandatory! obviously the designers and engineers never drove one.  :alan2cents:                                                                                                                          Mark.

Chryco Psycho

The SE pkg should have included dual mirrors std , reduce the window size & increase the blind spot & still no right side mirror .... crazy !!
I get that in those days Dual mirrors were rare unlike today where even the most basic cars have dual mirrors .

JS29

IF i remember correctly, New York state made the duel mirrors and rear window defogger mandatory for cars sold in the state in 1979.