Main Menu

Future of our "hobby"

Started by Marc70challenger, January 26, 2017, 11:58:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fc7cuda

Quote from: B5Cuda440-6 on March 22, 2017, 05:34:13 AM
My main concern is that as the older generation fades, their experience and knowledge will pass as well. We need to learn as much as possible from those that have been involved with these cars for the last 40 years. They are a wealth of knowledge!!

:iagree: Rob makes a good point.

It's this forum and others like it that will be full of information for the future generations.  Our Reference Section and the "How To" videos will become very important for documenting information about these cars, along with the valued input from the "older generation".

blown motor

But, I’m glad I’m here …and I really love my floor dimmer switch  :)

Your dimmer switch comment reminded me of when I got my Challenger 5 years ago. The first time I was out at night I was meeting a car and pulled on the signal switch to dim the lights. I think I pulled about three times before it dawned on me that the dimmer switch is on the floor. I had a chuckle over that.

Welcome to the board.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

Thank you @B5Cuda440-6  for joining us and chiming in.   :twothumbsup:  You bring up some good points and I agree with about the younger crowd.  We need to learn as much as we can from the experienced long time E-Body guys while we can.  And do everything we can to share knowledge, offer support and help anyone that is thinking about getting in to the hobby.       :drinkingbud:

Hello All -

I'm new to this board, but not new to the restoration hobby.  I've been restoring muscle cars since I was 15, and have always enjoyed doing so. It's definitely a part of my core.

It's funny that most guys in high school wanted mid-80's muscle, which is to say 1986 442's, Monte Carlos SS's and GN's were at the top of the list. Everyone thought I was nuts for wanting a car that had horrible steering, handling and a dimmer switch on the floor. As my high-school friends progress through life now, they still want the cars from the mid-80's, so I believe these cars will be more sought-out by those interested in having a cool "classic" car, without the means to buy an early 70's muscle car. To everyone's point in this thread, most can't afford entrance to the hobby with a 68-70 B-Body or 70-71 E-Body with a decent list of factory options. I had to work my way up to owning a 70 V-Code Cuda by restoring and selling several cars. But, I'm glad I'm here...and I really love my floor dimmer switch  :)

I was reading through this posting and had to comment. I think it's really great that there are hobbyists that are a little younger than average interested in these cars, like Markp and GoodysGotaCuda. I am 38 and always feel like I'm the younger guy in the Mopar arena, especially in the OE restoration crowd. It'll ultimately be up to "the younger generation" (us) to keep these cars alive. My main concern is that as the older generation fades, their experience and knowledge will pass as well. We need to learn as much as possible from those that have been involved with these cars for the last 40 years. They are a wealth of knowledge!!

303 Mopar

Interesting conversation in this Hagerty video on Manual vs Automatic and around the 5:20 mark talking about new cars.

B5Cuda440-6

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to be part of this board!

:banana:

RUNCHARGER

Welcome B5. Another point I'd like to make is that it is almost our duty to take younger generation kids out in our cars and give them a taste of muscle. My son is 23 years old now and when his buddies were over at the house I loved to take them for rides and show them what a gen2 Hemi was all about. Those young men still talk about those rides to this day and I'd like to think I instilled a bit of the fever in them. It's up to us to ensure the hobby will continue on.
Sheldon

4mayhemi

Longtime lurker, compelled to first post on this thread. Thought I'd offer an optimistic view of the hobby, as many have pessimistic views (rightfully so) influenced by mopar prices, hybrids, CAFE, lazy millenials, etc.  We all share a love of mopars, and for us to succeed on our projects we need the hobby to thrive and continue (prices be damned!).  I think this is happening!

I am in my 40s, and when I attend mopar shows/swaps there's no mistaking I'm a young'un.  But when the "masters" offer their knowledge and how-to to me, that gives me a deeper stake in the hobby to continue it. I may not have grown up on AmericanGraffiti and Bullitt, but I was glued to Hazard's Charger, the FallGuy's truck, A-Team's van, Smokey's Pontiac, and many more.  Today's kids have one of the most popular movie franchises ever worldwide, Fast&Furious, starring a 70 Charger. The next one stars...the new Demon!  Visited a Walmart aisle stocked with those toys? Likewise, seen DisneyCars movies aisle tempting toddlers? Played a GrandPrix game where you can play with horsepower?

Have you seen how many forums and facebook pages are dedicated to specific body, styles, and years? Thousands.
Been to the track with Charger/Hellcat shootouts? These daily drivers will need restored in 30 years.

Have you seen how many car shows, cars & coffees, etc. are an important part of the fabric in metro areas? Even open-the-headers type cruise-ins. And crowded with non-mechanical families. They may have come for ice cream and ambiance, and don't know sure-grip from posi, but that one kid may leave in love with that burnout from a mopar or chevy. It's there, it just needs a spark. The methods have tweaked a little, but necessity will come upon the young kids, just like it did for me as a broke 15yr old wrenchin my Road Runner.

My young kids would rather play Wii than watch me wrench now, but they also love their hotwheels.  I don't know if they'll keep my EF8 Coronet when I'm gone (not many like EF8), but I'm giddy when they keep asking for a ride in the "loud green car," rust, lapbelts and all. And they keep asking if I've saved enough for that Cuda. I have no doubt we're leaving these cars in a good place.

Cuda Cody

Very well said @4mayhemi    :clapping:  And welcome.  Glad you shared your point of view.

Would love to see some photos of your Coronet.   :please:   And are you looking for a Cuda or do you have one?

anlauto

Yea...I agree...the "car hobby" is not going anywhere any time soon... :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JH27N0B

It gets frustrating here going to cruises as many fill up quickly and unless you get there early you cant find a parking space.
Lucky the hobby is dying or it would be impossible to find a spot!   ;)
The biggest frustration I have with today's car scene is all the late model muscle cars.  Lots of enthusiasts, myself included, have bought new Challengers or Camaros or Mustangs.  Then we get lazy and leave our vintage iron home and enjoy driving in modern comfort.
And you then end up going to a show and half the cars there are new.  Boy is it tough getting motivated to drive a car with a 4:10 rear 60 or 100 miles to a show on a hot day though.
If I can get motivated to take on another project, the trend of putting a modern drivetrain and 4 wheel disc brakes in a classic car is sounding better to me every day.

RUNCHARGER

You're lucky: Participation in this area is almost zero. The Mopar show in Vancouver once a year is getting skimpier all the time. The cars are in the area, people just do not bring them out. If the newer cars show up it's not that bad, I just walk by them to look at what I like.
Sheldon

rhamson

I think if you are a gearhead at heart you are easily hooked by just hearing a muscle car start up and run. I remember to this day the first one I ever heard and saw. It was just like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH21c0Tit2c

JH27N0B

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 26, 2017, 08:47:59 PM
You're lucky: Participation in this area is almost zero. The Mopar show in Vancouver once a year is getting skimpier all the time. The cars are in the area, people just do not bring them out. If the newer cars show up it's not that bad, I just walk by them to look at what I like.
Our shows are getting skimpier every year too, and some good ones have ended altogether.
I was filling out my 2017 calendar the other day and realized the AACA doesn't have a single show here any more. They used to have 3.
But the cruises have gotten bigger and bigger.  There's one monthly cruise that draws 800-900 cars on a Saturday evening. A weekly Friday cruise fills up quick with around 350 cars and another 50-100 often get turned away when space runs out.
Our biggest local Mopar show is in Belvedere and used to be at the Chrysler plant.  It moved to a county fairground 11 or 12 years ago and it's still a can't miss, but not anything like the good old days at the plant!
I just can't get over how popular the cruises have got though, in the summer there are good cruises every evening of the week near me!  :ohyeah:

Cuda Cody

Yup the Cruises around here are getting HUGE!   :banana:

Chaos-N-Mayhem

I think the market will always change but I don't think it will lessen. With the internet boom cars and parts are only a finger tip away making possible what used to be very difficult for some. Additionally, I don't think the article really took into account the perspective that musclecars and other collectible vehicles can be looked at as investments by some. So when market conditions are not right they pull there money and stick them in cars with the hopes the price appreciate then they can resell down the road. So if you have a hemi convertible for example, I think you will be alright down the road. Heck even C bodies and F bodies are starting to command some money.