Main Menu

Future of our "hobby"

Started by Marc70challenger, January 26, 2017, 11:58:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Blake@diyhemi.com

I'm only 32 and it took me a while to get to that financial point to be able to buy an E body. But honestly, I can say now that it was like a right of passage. A gift to myself for the hard work and hustle. I kind of like the fact that not just anyone can buy a cuda or challenger. It's what makes the club a little more honorable. Don't get me wrong, I would like to see steady prices and more people able to enjoy these cars, I know I would have loved to had one since I was 8. But it gave me something to strive for and work towards. It's kind of like a Medal of Honor if you will. Does that make sense?

I think the younger generation appreciates them just as much as the original owners did back then, but have to wait for them. I know I waited a long time.

They are worth the wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

70chall440

It will not be all that long until the population of people who want a car that does not run, handle or stop like car made in the last 20 years is exceptionally minimal. I met a 30 something car guy at SEMA who has never worked on a carburetor and had no idea how to do so. The future will be modern drive trains, brakes and suspension as the styling is timeless. Restored vehicles will always have a place but more as investments than drivers whereas restomods will continue to grow in interest and value to a degree.  In short, IMO they will all have a place going forward but the balance will shift over time (think Model A or T..) The rarest cars will live as restorations and investments whereas the rest will change over time.
Mopar or no car!!!

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: 70chall440 on February 02, 2017, 09:54:38 PM
It will not be all that long until the population of people who want a car that does not run, handle or stop like car made in the last 20 years is exceptionally minimal. I met a 30 something car guy at SEMA who has never worked on a carburetor and had no idea how to do so. The future will be modern drive trains, brakes and suspension as the styling is timeless. Restored vehicles will always have a place but more as investments than drivers whereas restomods will continue to grow in interest and value to a degree.  In short, IMO they will all have a place going forward but the balance will shift over time (think Model A or T..) The rarest cars will live as restorations and investments whereas the rest will change over time.

I can agree to this, especially when thinking of older vehicles such as your model T example. Valid points, sir.

1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

torredcuda

Even a lot of us older guys have traded in the classics for newer muscle, myself I will always have the old ones with carbs bad handling.
Jeff   `72 Barracuda 340/4spd
https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.hunt.750

Northeast Mighty Mopar Club
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486087201685038/

GoodysGotaCuda

As a 29 year old, I am lurking in the shadows for the market bottom to fall out over the next 10 or so years to snap up a few cool cars. I need an AAR and a T/A in my stable.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Markp

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on February 03, 2017, 06:06:38 AM
As a 29 year old, I am lurking in the shadows for the market bottom to fall out over the next 10 or so years to snap up a few cool cars. I need an AAR and a T/A in my stable.

34 years old here, I am also lurking and looking for a T/A or AAR. There are still some younger mopar muscle car guys trying to keep it alive. I think the new Challenger has also helped to keep the E-bodies relevant in today's hybrid electric crappy ugly cars with no soul time were in.
1974 Cuda Pro Street HP?????
2000 Camaro SS 383 Stroker 550hp
2016 Challenger Hellcat 707HP

Brads70

I'd say our beloved E-Bodys will always be desired.  It's money that's keeping the younger crowd from owning them for the most part. As we all go for the " dirt nap" I can't see them going down in value as there will be more people/population and the same /fewer amount of cars. I agree with what was said about people wanting them to brake, run and handle well, not like stock.  :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

For me I love the cars because of what they originally were not what they can be now. Last year I bought a Viper and I absolutely love driving it but it's a different deal and I'd sooner drive it than an old Challenger that I tried to make drive as well. My next Challenger will be torsion bars and original style starter because that's what makes them cool for me. The good thing is there are enough cars out there for everyone to do what makes them happy.
An example is the stock rally dash in an E-body, I absolutely think they look great and when I see a modified E-body or 68=70 Charger with a new dash swapped in to accommodate the new engine under the hood it just doesn't do it for me.

Sheldon
Sheldon

70chall440

Definitely one of the many things that make this hobby exciting; everyone has their own idea what "right" is but at the end of the day, they are all Mopar's..
Mopar or no car!!!

rhamson

What is alarming to me is the push towards driver less cars. If the corporate powers that be wish to continue I fear the day will come when road restrictions for driver less only cars will take place. This could happen where self driven cars and driver less cars cannot mesh. Maybe the technology will be able to navigate the random lunacy self driven cars practice but I doubt it. It also takes away those that derive pleasure on going on a short cruise or vacation to clear their heads. Instead you will fall asleep and miss the trip entirely.

RUNCHARGER

I don't like that new technology at all. For instance if you can't back up your friggen trailer then maybe you shouldn't be pulling it forward either. You're not awake enough to back out of a parking space while looking for children, cars or other hazards and have to rely on a computer to drive for you?
I think the reality is that back when these cars were built people loved to drive. Nowadays driving is an inconvenience for a lot of people. It's just a changing world.
For me the old cars bring back great memories and sometimes I am amazed at younger people being interested in them. I enjoy that the younger people like them I just don't understand why. I like street rods, 50's cars as well just not as much as the cars I dreamed about when they were being sold brand new.
Sheldon

rhamson

:iagree: The new cars are fun at first and ride so nice. The conveniences on long trips make it comfortable. My wife has a Subaru Forester with the turbo charger. It is peppy and has all the bells and whistles but it makes little noise and won't smoke the tires.

Marc70challenger

Have you tried a neutral drop at 6k rpm.  :burnout:   :veryexcited: :rofl:

HUSTLESTUFF

The line in the article that made sense to me was remembering what your parents drove.  The saving grace for muscle cars was the 80's and 90's.  There were pretty much no great cars then so that will let the muscle cars of the 60's early 70's hang around for 1-2 more generations.  I'm 51 and have no kids but my brother (2 years older) has 2.  One has a 2008? SRT Charger  and his sister drives the Pink 72 Cuda I built for her.  While they aren't their daily drivers, those kids grew up with my brothers 68 Camaro and his 80 Z28.  I think the kids of the millennials will be after the newer muscle but thats another 25-30 years away.  I'll be 75-80 and still driving old school.

B5Cuda440-6

Hello All -

I'm new to this board, but not new to the restoration hobby.  I've been restoring muscle cars since I was 15, and have always enjoyed doing so. It's definitely a part of my core.

It's funny that most guys in high school wanted mid-80's muscle, which is to say 1986 442's, Monte Carlos SS's and GN's were at the top of the list. Everyone thought I was nuts for wanting a car that had horrible steering, handling and a dimmer switch on the floor. As my high-school friends progress through life now, they still want the cars from the mid-80's, so I believe these cars will be more sought-out by those interested in having a cool "classic" car, without the means to buy an early 70's muscle car. To everyone's point in this thread, most can't afford entrance to the hobby with a 68-70 B-Body or 70-71 E-Body with a decent list of factory options. I had to work my way up to owning a 70 V-Code Cuda by restoring and selling several cars. But, I'm glad I'm here...and I really love my floor dimmer switch  :)

I was reading through this posting and had to comment. I think it's really great that there are hobbyists that are a little younger than average interested in these cars, like Markp and GoodysGotaCuda. I am 38 and always feel like I'm the younger guy in the Mopar arena, especially in the OE restoration crowd. It'll ultimately be up to "the younger generation" (us) to keep these cars alive. My main concern is that as the older generation fades, their experience and knowledge will pass as well. We need to learn as much as possible from those that have been involved with these cars for the last 40 years. They are a wealth of knowledge!!