Main Menu

Pro Stock R/T Challenger I saved.

Started by LinceCuda, June 22, 2017, 01:27:13 PM

Previous topic Next topic

LinceCuda

Bought this old tired rusted race car back in late 05 and finished it in 07 sold in 2012 when things were tight, it runs the drag strips around Houston TX. now. It started as a 70 R/T Challenger then turned into a a Pro Stock drag car in 1971 and of course it had a 426 Hemi until 1975 when it was sold to a weekend warrior. It was raced locally in the Dayton Beach area until 1988 when it was stripped of the good stuff and put behind the auto shop. I paid $2500 for it in 05 and Sonny Greg and myself built it into a Super Gas car for me. We had a boat load of fun and even racing it on Pinks All Out and making the show and then got beat by a big block Camaro. I didn't have the money to change my rear gear from a 513 to a 456 in time so running the 1/4 with my 1/8 mile gear it fell flat at 1000 ft. and it was over. So 499 stroker 600HP 200HP nitrous shot, built 727 3000 stall 513 spooled 472 narrowed ladder bar rear end, and a Hurst reverse pattern shifter Stage V heads 1050 carb, stock front K member and suspention. Here are some picks the pic of it red white and blue is how I bought it and that wasn't the Pro Stock paint job.  :burnout:

Cuda Cody

That Challenger looks FAST!!!!  I would never have the guts to race in on the Pinks show.  Love the show, but I don't know how you can take that chance with such a cool car.  What made you say, yes I'll do it?

LinceCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 22, 2017, 03:50:02 PM
That Challenger looks FAST!!!!  I would never have the guts to race in on the Pinks show.  Love the show, but I don't know how you can take that chance with such a cool car.  What made you say, yes I'll do it?

It wasn't Pinks Cody it was Pinks All Out heads up for cash not cars. I would never run on Pinks to much bs and sand bagging.

Chryco Psycho

Awesome , glad you had a blast with it  :burnout:

jimynick

You certainly made a nice piece out of that old sled, that's for sure! Looks good! :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

LinceCuda

Quote from: jimynick on June 22, 2017, 07:47:56 PM
You certainly made a nice piece out of that old sled, that's for sure! Looks good! :bigthumb:

Thanks it was a fun build. We replaced with new both rear 1/4's, filler panel, front floor pans, fiberglass deck lid, fiberglass hood, fiberglass front bumper, 14 point cage, and new back half. The doors, fenders, K frame, front suspension, rear bumper, roof, body shell, and rear end housing, were all original. The build came in at just under 21K

LinceCuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 22, 2017, 07:41:42 PM
Awesome , glad you had a blast with it  :burnout:

We did and what made it better is I have a 1/8 mile track just 5 miles away. It wasn't the fastest car at the track, but it really drew a crowd wherever we took it, I let a lot of parents take pics of their kids sitting in it. In the 1/8 on motor 6.10's with a shot of giggle gas 5.90's

Cuda Cody

Those are great times.  What did you end up doing in the 1/4?

LinceCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 23, 2017, 02:55:22 PM

With the 513 1/8 mile gear best I could do was 10.60 it would fall flat at around 1000 ft.

LinceCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 23, 2017, 02:55:22 PM

That 10.60 was on motor never put the nitrous to it running the1/4  because of the gear. Matter of fact Pinks was the only time I ran a 1/4 mile track. They gave us 6 total run over 2 days.

Cuda Cody

I've been in some 11 sec cars, but never a 10 second car.  That is moving really fast!!!!   :clapping:

Cudakiller70

So cool, that would be a lotta fun around town. I bet it was fun to build.

LinceCuda

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 23, 2017, 03:32:31 PM
I've been in some 11 sec cars, but never a 10 second car.  That is moving really fast!!!!   :clapping:

That was my 1st race car so I'll let you in on a little secrete it scared the you know what out of me on the 1st launch and here's why. We worked all day and stayed up until 3am finishing the car enough to make it to the 1st race and left at 4am headed to Atlanta. The picture I posted of the car in front of the trailer is when we got to Atl. you can see there is no front bumper, grill area is unfinished and we didn't have time to put the plexie glass windows in. Most important we forgot to weld in the brace from the seat back to the cage. The other picture I posted of me racing the Ford is my very 1st race and 1st launch and that is a true Ford factory Light weight car. We were one of 3 Mopar cars invited to a all Ford show and drags by Dick Brannon and Phil Bonner (Daddy Warbucks) I grew up with the Bonner family thats the only reason I was invited.. The other 2 were Ronnie Sox's son he brought a 1970 Cuda and I want to say Dick Landy's son who ever it was from the family they brought 2 Challengers they didn't race Sox did. When I left the line because we left the brace out the the fiberglass seat broke away from the mounting bolts and I was all out of shape trying to figure out what happened and thought I was crashing. Scared the Ba Jesus out of me and went 1/2 way down the track before I could grab the shifter and pull 2nd gear if I didn't have a 7200 chip in I would blown it up my foot was matted lol. They say you never forget your 1st and I sure haven't lol. That was at Atl. Motor Speedway they set up 1/8 mile drags on pit road.

LinceCuda

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on June 23, 2017, 03:56:23 PM
So cool, that would be a lotta fun around town. I bet it was fun to build.

It really was and Greg and Sonny really know race cars but they are die hard Chevy guys. They tried to get me to put one of their 427's in it but I would have none of that non sense lol.

jimynick

Good for you! There's nothing wrong with Chevy's, but they're like arseholes- everybody's got one!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"