Main Menu

Am I impatient (vendor lag: Ididit)

Started by ledphoot, July 27, 2018, 05:44:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ledphoot

First it was Moroso with the extensive delays on their road race oil pan... Luckily you guys pointed out that I should check some Mopar specialty vendors and see if any had one in stock and Hughes Engines came to the rescue :)

Now it's Ididit and my tilt steering column. It was ordered in Mid-May.. I patiently waited and then checked in a month later and was told mid-July.. Mid July comes and goes, I check today and I am told the end of August.. WTF? Is this just how these companies do business? Does their word not mean anything? I went with Ididit because they're supposed to be a notch above Flaming River... I am starting to question myself on that decision.

Should I be more patient? Is it me? Are my expectations too high? Inquiring minds want to know.

IRON MAN

To over promise like that is unacceptable. The same thing happened to me on some headers. I was able to unwind the order and bought elsewhere. Why did you choose Ididit over Flaming River? I ask because my Challenger may need a new steering column. Good luck.

JH27N0B

I ordered a repro battery in March.  In late May, I was contacted by a new company that bought out the company asking if I was still interested in my older battery order.
I said yes, and they said I should have it in 3 weeks. It's been 2 months now.
I emailed them a week ago, but no response.  I've given up, but am worried after I gut my old battery and put a racing battery in it, I may get my new battery and credit card charge for my old order that has never been fulfilled.

tman

If you end up gutting your battery.  Please show the process.  Mine is starting to go bad after 9 yrs.  I may have to gut mine too.  I have seen some other photos, but would like some better details.
Thx

ledphoot

Quote from: IRON MAN on July 27, 2018, 07:05:03 PM
To over promise like that is unacceptable. The same thing happened to me on some headers. I was able to unwind the order and bought elsewhere. Why did you choose Ididit over Flaming River? I ask because my Challenger may need a new steering column. Good luck.

Ididit's fit and finish are a little better, it mates nicely to the OEM steering wheel / can, their collapsing column is a little safer, the column uses a factory Mopar key now and I like the way the tilt works a little better.

https://www.ididitinc.com/i-25049363-1970-74-cuda-challenger-tilt-floor-shift-steering-column-with-oe-wheel-id-classic-ignition-black-powder-coated.html?ref=category:1310143

IRON MAN

Leadphoot, Summit Racing shipping date on Ididit is 9/4/18. If you pay $110.00 more shipping date is moved up to only 8/20/2018. So Ididit it is charging an extra $110.00 to get the steering column two weeks early. Whatever the market will bare marketing. AND, Flaming River is doing the same thing at Summit Racing. Is it a summer month extra charge thing because customers want it now and are willing to pay more. To me that is like the guy with more money is cutting in line, and the steering column manufacturers know it. So if the orders keep coming in, and the customer is willing to pay more than you, you get bumped?

I agree with you the Ididit column is more ideal than the Flaming River column.

72bluNblu

What was the reasoning behind ordering direct from the manufacturer?

Just curious, it certainly doesn't excuse the delays. But with parts like that I pretty much always order from Summit or a similar retailer. The pricing is almost always better. And I imagine that when the manufacturer is filling orders a large retailer like Summit Racing probably ends up higher on the list than an order from a single customer. Again, I'm not saying that should be how it's done, but I can certainly see why it would happen.

RUNCHARGER

When we used to order from Ididit it was pretty much controlled by if they had the parts in stock. When in stock they would run a number of them through of course. I don't think it mattered who was ordering them.
It is a problem in the industry today for sure, so much choice in parts makes for delays when the supplier doesn't have the materials in stock to make your particular part. Even the guys with the 69 Camaros have to wait for parts.
Sheldon

Topcat

Quote from: tman on July 27, 2018, 09:35:26 PM

If you end up gutting your battery.  Please show the process.  Mine is starting to go bad after 9 yrs.  I may have to gut mine too.  I have seen some other photos, but would like some better details.
Thx

TommyG29 did this to a repro battery a few years ago.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=104888.25

ledphoot

I ordered through a Vendor.. Just not Summit or Jegs, but I do not believe it'd make any difference, I ordered the Moroso Oil Pan from Jegs and the date was changed three times before I gave up in frustration and found one in stock at Hughes. I'd be willing to give them another $110 to get the damn thing quickly with a firm commitment date. 3-4 months is just stupid at this point.

IRON MAN

Jegs pales in comparison to Summit Racing. Summit Racing is KING! I live 185 miles from Summit Racing and usually get most items in 1-3 days. Couple weeks ago ordered a Miller welding helmet from Summit and it arrived in less than 12 hours along with some other items.

ledphoot

So I got my Ididit steering column a couple of weeks ago. I am going to get it installed in the car this weekend. It's interesting, having tilt and all new components and the increased safety of a collapsible shaft will be nice. I got the coupler to link to the Borgenson steering box so I am good to go. This column is based on a GM column, so wouldn't you know it came with the square GM style ignition key :( Will need to find a custom blank to cut for it.. I am not a fan of GM stuff even if it is just the key.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Rich G.

Classic industries is great for not shipping things. If it says arriving soon it usually means probably never. I've waited over a year for the grill filler panel on my Challenger because I wanted a Mopar restoration part. Got tired of waiting and got the Goodmark brand and I was surprised it was very nice.

ledphoot

Quote from: Rich G. on October 10, 2018, 06:50:35 PM
Classic industries is great for not shipping things. If it says arriving soon it usually means probably never. I've waited over a year for the grill filler panel on my Challenger because I wanted a Mopar restoration part. Got tired of waiting and got the Goodmark brand and I was surprised it was very nice.

I wish they could be straight up with us about delivery times. I don't feel like its too much too ask for them to set a reasonable expectation of delivery....

Cool that the repop from goodmark was close.