Main Menu

Any references for detailing under carriage components please ?

Started by Jocigar, June 24, 2019, 06:44:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Morning,

Does anyone have a high def photo of entire underbody, or link showing factory finish of various components;  leaf springs, driveshaft, rear drums, T-bars, K member assembly, etc.

I have seen these painted in cast iron or silver and sometimes in matte black.   example; My drive shaft is in matte black but I recently saw one in cast gray.  same for rear drums.

Trying to assemble leaf springs to dana at the moment and not sure about leaf connectors finish and u-bolts ?

Not going for Barrett Jackson, just want to get close to factory where possible. 

thank you !

1 Wild R/T

Details vary from plant to plant, option to option & production dates so variations are normal...  Best source for OE data on your car is your car...  That said...  here's a driveshaft photo... On a business card...

anlauto

Well the ironic thing is that most parts you're asking about were left in their natural finish. The may have had a coating like cosmoline or black phosphate which wore off in a few years....but for the most part, nothing was "painted" except the K Frame and rear axle housing

So asking what colours things are supposed to be painted to be correct is an oxymoron.... :dunno:

With all the cars I restore...EVERYTHING gets painted...mine are drivers so everything is sealed up and paint to look like their natural colours....that way it "looks" original but they won't rust.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jocigar

Thank you guys,

All bare metal parts will go to cast gray or silver pigment paint to look close to natural metal.

Now that I know, I will change drive shaft over to something more bare metal looking versus the semi gloss black.

Should I clear coat parts after ?  is there a good rattle can product to use?

76orangewagon

Buy a 5 gallon container of Evapo-Rust and a satin clear like Diamond Clear from Eastwood, for something more durable I have my Powder coater spray a matte clear powder over sand blasted parts for a natural bare finish. Heres a few pics of the blasted and satin powder coat look. 

Floyd

Alan - Do you have a go-to black spray paint that has close to the right level of medium gloss?  Everything I'm trying is either too glossy or too flat.  Also, what do you use for bare steel (shock mounts, brake backing plates, snubber, etc.)?

Thanks!

76orangewagon

This Pinion Snubber was soaked in Evapo-Rust for a few days and then Rattle canned with Eastwoods Diamond Matte Clear. Eastwood has some really good chassis products like a Chassis Black and some nice cast colors, they also have rattle can 2 part epoxy primer. 

anlauto

I use Wurth Satin Black and Seymore's Stainless Steel paints
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: anlauto on June 24, 2019, 12:39:04 PM
I use Wurth Satin Black and Seymore's Stainless Steel paints

As rattle cans go Wurth is pretty good stuff...

Brads70

Some say this one is restored pretty nicely?

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Brads70 on June 24, 2019, 03:48:39 PM

Dave's car is nice.. But I'd almost say there's to much overspray...

Brads70

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on June 24, 2019, 03:52:11 PM

Dave's car is nice.. But I'd almost say there's to much overspray...

:stop: :-X  Don't go there !  :rofl:  Ego's abound ! Drama ensues .....

Jocigar

thank you all, very good info and product knowledge 

(ordered eastwood diamond clear, will look for evapo-rust and wurth)

I guess leaf springs were both in black and bare metal ?   mine are in Seymour stainless steel to simulate natural finish.

Mrbill426

Interesting... the transmission mount bracket was yellow from the factory?

Mrbill426

I guess the proper name is "insulator".  Anyway is it supposed to be yellow?
The chassis black is it a gloss or semi-gloss finish?

Quote from: Mrbill426 on May 25, 2020, 09:00:26 PM
Interesting... the transmission mount bracket was yellow from the factory?