Main Menu

Are '70-71 challengers are less valuable and desirable than '70-71 Cudas?

Started by cavemanno1, September 27, 2017, 02:38:18 PM

Previous topic Next topic

cavemanno1

Hi gents!

I've been looking for a '70 Cuda driving project some time now, but so far I have only found '70-71 Challengers that I can afford.These cars go for $14-22k and they are real r/t 4 speed or 340/4 speed numbers matching cars.To be honest the '70 Challengers have started to grow on me.
So my question might be "stupid" but are Challengers are less desirable then Cudas?
Even tho the '70-71 Challengers are the most wanted ones, yet they are a lot cheaper to buy than Cudas, unfortunately.
Found a numbers matching '70 r/t 4 speed Challenger that has a 440 engine in it now but has the original engine, for 22k.She needs a bit of bodywork and a paint job but she runs and drives well,which is what I'm after.
Was thinking of just buying that and make a Vanishing point clone out of her.She would look cool next to my '68 r/t Charger  :)
But then I bet I would come across a '70 Cuda for sale!

Don't even know why I want another mopar since my charger isn't done yet, but I have to have a '70 Cuda!But that '70 Challenger is getting pretty tempting.Would spend all my money again and would be broke,again,but I can not let this "obsession" go!

anlauto

YES...Cudas are more desirable and expensive than Challengers :alan2cents:
Put all your eggs into one basket and finish ONE car first :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

dodj

If you are buying it, to sell it, go by resale prices. If you are going to keep it, buy whichever one you like best. Sounds to me like you should wait for the right 'cuda deal.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

jamesroney

Quote from: anlauto on September 27, 2017, 02:48:29 PM
YES...Cudas are more desirable and expensive than Challengers :alan2cents:
Put all your eggs into one basket and finish ONE car first :alan2cents:

I owned a 1970 Challenger R/T Convertible once.  Later I bought a 1970 Plymouth Cuda.  They are different.  'Cuda's are faster, better, super cool and awesome.  The Challenger was more desirable and expensive...but I love the 'cuda.

Bottom line is that you only have to buy it once.  But you get to look at it every day.  So buy the one you love.

(besides, didn't Jane Hathaway drive a Challenger?)
BS23N0E

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: dodj on September 27, 2017, 03:36:46 PM
Quote from: jamesroney on September 27, 2017, 03:24:48 PM
[ 'Cuda's are faster, better, super cool and awesome. 
This guy is obviously delusional...... :pokeeye:

Yup... 
Your money, your choice... The gem of all the "collectors" is a 71 Cuda... Personally I've never cared for 71 Cuda's & I'm not alone by any means.... 

HP_Cuda

Diff strokes for different folks but back in the day the Challenger was marketed towards women.

:pokeeye:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

anlauto

I just base my OPINION on production.....back in the day they sold more Challengers, fast forward 47 years....lower production numbers of the Cuda means more sought after = less to choose from = more expensive  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

70 Challenger Lover

Cudas seem to be hotter these days than Challengers. Both are very desirable but I think the Cudas get more attention. The 71 Cuda is by far pricier and more sought after than the 70 for sure. 70 barracudas are out there though and prices seem comparable to the 70 Challenger. Maybe a touch higher.

On a different note, Aniauto is right to advise focusing on one. It's easy to split your attention then you're never really satisfied because neither is ready.

RUNCHARGER

Cudas bring more money but Challengers are more desirable, that's why they outsold Cudas when new. They're both great of course, buy what you prefer don't let a few thousand have you wishing you had bought a different car.
Sheldon

Flatdad

More valuable? I agree. More desirable? Debatable.

Don't fall into the trap of "rare=desirable" if that were strictly true, people would be falling all over themselves to buy a '75 road runner.

The safest bet is to buy a car because YOU like it, not because other people do.

cavemanno1

Thanks for your thoughts.However,I think we got sidetracked here.
I didn't ask which one to buy because I think everyone buys the car they like.I definitely know what I want,but I'm getting more and more drawn to the '70-71 challengers.Especially if they come with a 4 speed.No question about that I like Cudas better but wouldn't mind owning one '70 Challenger for a bit.Love the Vanishing Point challenger a lot.
I just didn't know that the Challengers were the less favored ones!If I got a running,driving challenger for the money I could afford it's better than waiting for a Cuda in my rice range!We haven't got any 1970 Challenger in the country, not a single one!

Later down the line I always could sell her on and buy a Cuda.Could make my own Death Proof with our '68 charger and the white '70 Challenger  :rofl:

erik70rt

In the end it's basic economics.  Supply and demand.  There are fewer Barracudas than there are Challengers, and the Barracuda is in more demand.  Hence the higher price for Barracudas. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

70 Challenger Lover

Quote from: erik70rt on September 28, 2017, 01:13:15 PM
In the end it's basic economics.  Supply and demand.  There are fewer Barracudas than there are Challengers, and the Barracuda is in more demand.  Hence the higher price for Barracudas. 

I don't always agree with the "supply" side of this argument. I own a 70 Challenger JH car that's an N code (HP 383 engine) 4 speed car. They only made 450 of these cars. A small fraction compared to the R/T cars that had the same engine and 4 speed yet the value of the R/T is still significantly higher in any given year than the R/T. In the case of my car, it's not because people don't want my car. In fact, it would sell just as quick as an R/T (though for less money). Before I sold my 70 Superbee only a couple years ago, they were desirable cars then but the prices of the 69 were still higher even though they made more in 1969. They made ten times more mustangs in the first couple years of production than any of the Mopars we love so much. Finding one of these Mustangs is super easy to do yet sellers still demand stupid money for these cars.

For me, it's more a factor of pure demand. The Barracudas are a dynamite looking design and these days they just seem to be what most E-body guys prefer even if it is just a marginal preference. It wouldn't surprise me if ten years from now the current preference leaned toward the Challenger as it did in the early 70s. Particularly if they produced a new Cuda and saturated the market with the look as the new Challengers have done for the past nine years or so.

RUNCHARGER

Ha, ha" And what is wrong with 75 Road Runners I ask?
Sheldon