Main Menu

Where do you think the hobby is going ?

Started by Purepony, March 04, 2021, 08:40:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

When I went to cruisins etc. I would make a point of talking to the younger guys with the "ricers" etc. You will find they are gearheads just like us old guys but they are a bit intimidated by the old muscle car guys and don't feel like the older guys have respect for them. If you old guys take a few minutes and ask these young guys what they did to their Honda/Mitsu/ whatever it will help bring us all ltogether which is needed to keep the hobby going and fight the NIMBYs that want it shut down. I still remember when I was in my early 20's and met a few guys in their 40's that were into 20's-50's cars I couldn't believe how friendly those guys were and that they had interest in my Mopars, so I try to do the same for the younger guys now and like others have said they live cars, they race them, put all their money into them and would love to have an old Mopar too and maybe will in the future if we treat them right.
Sheldon

HP2

Exactly. The whole perception of us vs them whether the them is kids with a basket case Honda or they bought a newer muscle style of car, doesn't do the collective us any good. 

Yeya93

@RUNCHARGER Thank you. I wish I could knock it out in 1 year like you. But I am only able to work on this car 3-4 hours a day mostly mon-fri. It is my first project car, better yet, my first e body I have ever physically touched, so a lot of research is necessary than just physical work. Plus, I have no helping hand to assist me, besides advice from my father and uncle.

@CudaA39 I completely understand you. I am trying my best to keep it going. I am just so thankful I have a gf that has a busy work life herself. If not, I am pretty sure I would be single with the amount of time I put into this thing. haha But yea, looking into getting a home myself this year too. It will set me back for sure, but life is more important nonetheless.

IRON MAN

Sunday, went to the monthly Brentwood "Coffee & Gears" morning gathering. Counted over 150 muscle cars from the 50's thru 70's. About eight long rows of desirable collector cars in a strip mall. Local police enjoyed the meet as well. Five e-bodies and several Roadrunners in attendance. The gathering started at 7 am and broke up around noon. Several UK cars showed up: 2021 McLaren, 1967 Sunbeam tiger, 1964 TR4A, 1968 MGC, etc. Several 50's and 60's Corvettes. There were  alot of participants in their 20's showing off Chevelle Super Sports, 60's Camaros & late 60's Nova's. The MOPAR guys were in their 40's - 60's. A neighbor was there with his 70 Challenger. Ran into another friend with his 70 'Cuda 340 six-pack/727 and marginal paint. We chuckled over how he offered to sell it to me 2-1/2 yrs  ago for $25K. But a week later, I purchased a Challenger. He saw my 73 Challenger and hinted at trading. I told him if his car was #'s matching, had a/c, with a quality paint job like mine, I'd be interested. His 'Cuda has a Vinyl top and if you press on the vinyl below the rear glass it is crunchy. Still, I do believe it would be a fair trade though.

So, with the turn out, I think the hobby is as strong as it ever was. We have Pleasanton Goodguys car show in two weeks. I believe the show will reached critical mass, again. One year ~ 5,000 cars participated and the fairgrounds had to close the gates.The main reason I have not fled California is because  the car culture is second to none! :veryexcited: :ohyeah: :cooldance:   

davy442

great topic !!!

Oh, there are so many variables !!  Back in the '70's, when I think the MC craze started, as there were no more new sexy cars, high performance sedans, and i believe this spurred the major interest in the '60's and early  '70's MC's.  Through the 80's and mid 90's, there really wasn't anything comparable.  the introduction of the corvette ZR1 and Viper started a newer age of MC's, resulting in alot more options now.  Back in the '70's , restored model T's were worth alot more than the majority of MC's.  Model T's are still worth about the same as they were in the '70's, as i believe the demand is much lower now.  i think i see the same in the cars from the '40's and early '50's, again, i just don't think the demand is there, as compared to 20 years ago.  I don;t think anybody back then thought that we would be seeing a new generation of MC's, like over the last 15 years.  Now the standard is supercharged / turbocharged.  I think some people will now be more likely to purchase a newer MC, as they are alot more powerful, with a power adder, and still great looking, and a much better suspension package, and most importantly cheaper alot of times as compared to an old MC.  The 2005/6 ford GT's, and newer ones have already appreciated, as well as the limited run of challenger demon's.  Although there are still high dollar sales of older MC's, I also have seen a lot of them selling for below market value.  The hot thing now seems to be a resto-mod, which to me, is not as appealing as original/somewhat original spec.  I can't believe how the vipers have shot up in value over the last 1-2 years.  The super rare MC's will always command high dollars.

interesting.

chargerdon

Quote from: Poolshark314 on March 08, 2021, 06:23:42 AM
Quote from: Kowal on March 08, 2021, 04:44:10 AM
I think there are a couple of things going on...

1. Prices are high right now because there is less for sale.   Dealers I know are struggling to find good cars, when they do they sell right away, hence high prices.   I think this will settle down post Covid.

2. I am amazed at how "alive" the morning car cruises are.   With lots of club activity, lots of attendance.   But...lots of new cars of course, including a bigger share of euro imports, less classics.   I give these participants a lot of credit though, they do track days, road courses and drag strips, they modify their cars...so really not any different than in the 70's where people modified current cars!

3. Older cars are fading away unfortunately.   People that understood the 50's and early 60's cars are aging out of the hobby, you rarely see them.   I think Mopar still gets a lot of action because its Mopar, I think people still understand that multi-carb cars are cool, I also thinks certain models get more younger interest.   I had a 69 GTX that was really nice and when I took it out no one cared.   I think most people at a show don't even know what an LS6 Chevelle is or care.   On the other hand, 70's Challengers seem to get a lot of young people attention.   The Hemi in my Charger gets lots of stares from all ages, mostly I think because you just don't see them that often "in the wild".   I know a guy with a Buick GSX and he laughs that no one knows what it is, on the other hand Grand Nationals get lots of attention at cruises and people know exactly what they were.   You can see that in Grand National prices.

I agree completely with your statement. I also think people are more interested in Challengers than Chevelles because the new Challenger exists and they recognize the name but a new Chevelle doesn't so they have no clue. Same goes for Hemi and Charger names.

But on the other hand, the Barrett Jackson and Mecum auctions to me prove that Chevy is king !!   While it is true that a very rare Hemi Cuda might go for 1+ million...they are well rare.   But take an "average restored" 70 440 cuda and it will probably sell in the $40-60 k RANGE, while a 70 396 Camaro or 454 Chevelle will go in the 80's...   Chevies are still more popular.   PS i own a 74 ChALLENGER that i restored.. 

Also crazy is the price of a 70 Challenger or Cuda will be double if not triple the price of a similarly equipt and conditioned 72-74 Challenger or Cuda.   Looks are in the eye of the beholder and other than the grille there isn't much difference in looks.   VERY true that the 72-74 E bodied cars had anemic engines compared to the 70-71 but so what.   Im not talking about "all original survivors" but restored vehicles that have had their engines redone and are every bit as strong in a 73 as a 70.   Heck my 74 with its 360 is now a stroked 408 and probably putting out at least 400 HP...yet parked beside a 70 challenger in a sale would go for half as much !!

1972V21Cuda

It's unrealistic for most younger people to love the hobby: A) it's not their generation. B) Muscle cars are too expensive. C) You can't drive these year-round. D) You need a garage or storage.