Main Menu

Auto to Manual 383 Challenger 1970

Started by 3.0CSL, April 28, 2019, 04:33:15 AM

Previous topic Next topic

3.0CSL

Hi all, as above, what parts are needed to convert a 70 R/T 383 from an auto to a 4 speed manual, or maybe a 5 speed manual ?

anlauto

Everything in the picture. Companies like Brewers put together a complete kit for the 4 speed conversion.  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

There is a parts list in the reference material section which details what you need more than just a picture

Rich G.

If you go with a Hydraulic clutch setup you can eliminate the z bar and frame bracket for the z bar.

303 Mopar

I did a 4 speed swap on my Charger and a Passon 4 speed OD swap on my Cuda. 

This thread has the steps and pics of the process - https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/auto-to-4-speed-swap-pictures/8937/msg123356#msg123356

More detail here - https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/727-auto-to-833-4-speed-conversion/1433/

And here are all the parts. Unless you are very patient and diligent about finding each individual part, I would highly recommend calling Brewers or Passon and just buying the entire kit.  It includes everything you need, all new parts including a fresh rebuild transmission. 4 speed is a lot of fun, the Passon 4 spd OD is 1:1 in third and .80 in fourth so it makes highway driving at 65+ real nice with 3.55 or lower gears. A tremec 5 speed will involve a lot more cutting and fabrication of your firewall and tunnel.

Here are the parts needed:
1970 E Body Pedal Assembly
1 E Body Pedal Rod
1 Firewall Boot
1 Z Bar
1 66 UP B/ E Frame Bracket
1 BB Z Bar Service Kit B/ E Body
1 Clutch Adjuster Rod Kit
1 Reconditioned 482 Bell
1 10.5" BB Inspection Cover
1 Reverse Indicator Wire Harness
1 Clutch Fork
1 Fork Boot
1 130 Tooth 5.7/6.1 Flywheel (this is specific to the 392 Hemi so you will have to order one to fit your engine block)
1 Late Hemi Flywheel Bolt Package (this is specific to the 392 Hemi so you will have to order one to fit your engine block)
1 500 Series RAM Clutch Package 18 Spline (this is specific to the 392 Hemi so you will have to order one to fit your engine block)
1 E Body Shifter Mount Plate with Bolts
1 New E Body HURST Shifter Mechanism 7180
1 SB Starter Shield
1 Reverse Dash Indicator
1 Reproduction E Body PG Shifter Handle
1 E Body 1970 Shifter Linkage Complete
1 E Body Trans Mount
1 E Body Shifter Boot T
1 E Body Trim Ring
1 E Body Floor Hump
1 4 Speed Reverse Light Harness
1 Pilot Bearing
1 Cuda Black 4 Speed Carpet Set
1 E Body 18 Spline OD A-833, Ball and Detent Sidecover, PP 1639 (Passon 833 4 spd OD)
1 Bolt Set
80 W 90 NON Synthetic gear lube

Chryco Psycho

The Tremec will fit without a lot of modification depending ion the specific model used , , I have installed these with just some minor dimples for clearance but I am not a fan of the way they shift , if you use the T56 Magnum from the VIPER it is a whole different game , , cutting the tunnels & modifying the rear mount to make it all work .
I would recommend the A833 in 1 version or another as the first choice  :bigthumb: