Main Menu

Best way to install a Challenger gas tank?

Started by 750-h2, July 03, 2017, 03:37:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

Do you guys first mount the tube with trunk seal to the tank and then install as an assembly or do you push the tube into the tank from inside the trunk prior to mounting and strapping the tank? I guess either way works just wondering what is the proper and easiest way to do it?  Thanks!

7212Mopar

I asked the same question a few months back when I changed the tank. Tube should go in the tank through the trunk before you raise the tank up fully. Use some lube so you don't tear up the rubber. This is the easiest way. If you mount tank first and then try to insert the tube will be impossible. The angle is odd and you cannot line it up to push the tube in.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

750-h2

Yes this seems like the logical way of doing it, but I was thinking that it might be easier to install the tube first and push it to the bottom of the tank for additional clearance? This way it could be a one man job?  :thinking:

Chryco Psycho

as above , I mount the filler neck first & slide the tank onto the tube with some lube with the straps hanging it is a 1 man job  :wrenching:

Katfish

Agreed, I learned this the hard way.  Impossible to mount tube in tank first.
As stated, mount the tube to quarter panel and mount the gasket to the trunk floor, then slide / wiggle the tank onto to tube, then you can hook up the straps to hold it.

750-h2