Main Menu

BF Goodrich space saver question?

Started by 750-h2, February 07, 2019, 08:28:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

750-h2

Looking to possibly buy this stencil. Can anyone tell me the date code on this stencil. Looks like maybe its Dec 22 but I am not sure?  Thanks

JH27N0B

I don't know how to decode those markings.  However I've for a long time been interested in knowing more about the codes I see stenciled on many restored E bodies' spares.
I have what I've assumed is the original space saver in my T/A.  It was there when I bought the car in '78.  It has no stenciled markings on the tread. I know it's possible it was replaced at some point between when the car was first sold new in early 71 and when I got it.  It's a Mr Norms car, and I've heard they used to swap wheels around between car's in inventory, so it is possible my spare was pirated for another car missing it's spare, and then later a replacement ordered, I'll never know for certain, but nevertheless it's a vintage virgin space saver tire wheel that never had markings.
So did they always get these, or is it a case where someone marked theirs, and then others used that for a reference when they restored cars and soon it became blindly accepted as correct?
I have seen markings like made in Canada on restored cars that I've come to believe were correct on OEM replacement parts but not on the part installed on the line, so that is an example of copying a restoration detail that isn't necessarily correct. Copying assembly line paint daubs from another restoration is another example of doing something that seems right without fully understanding what you are doing.

anlauto

I just do it because it looks neat and people at cars shows go "oh wow...look at that detail " :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

mccannix

Not to be a downer,  but in the case of spacesavers that stencil they offer in reproduction  never IMHO looked like that even from new .
I've owned a lot of spacesaver tires on their rims starting in the early 70's, some NOS right out of dealership stock inventories that never technically saw the light of day.
Believe it or not, some new owners of E-bodies wanted the spacesaver replaced with a conventional tire/rim spare and the dealerships gladly did so to appease the customer before the car left the lot
Here's some I own and have owned, the first three were dealership new.
Numbers on last one certainly arent a date unless they got creative
...and I too, have seen them with no lettering at all.
There was more than one supplier of the B.F.Goodrich collapsible tires since Ford, GM, and AMC used them as well.

750-h2

To me it looks like the stencil itself is ok?  mccannix examples look like the factory may not have used bright white paint or the characters faded over the years?   Also the 12222 on the stencil must mean some kind of date code as this number seems to always be different on the examples I have seen?

anlauto

I start with an SEM off white, or even Herb's white interior paint....mist a light coat on, then I even put a dusting of flat black over it.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

750-h2